The Helpers

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I know we have had many Topics/posts on this Subject but this one is a new one on me

Sorry if it seems long but to tell it is a must.

As I have spoken about many times before, My Wife (love her) has a pretty more than full time job that allows us to enjoy life over and above the somewhat normal for many here, Our House is quite extensive and the gardens cover some 350 sq Meters, We have had quite a few helpers in the Past and were mainly happy with them until they got their feet under the table so to speak and then started to take over, This would never do for either of us nor I might add for our Sprog of 19,  each one always seemed to complain about the amount of work involved . Although, those that have visited our House will know it is bright Airy and not too cluttered with furniture and bits & Pieces.  OK, So we lost our real good one because she was afraid to say it was getting to her and making her back ache. We decided to have 2 next time. We found a couple, Aunt and Niece for a good Live in wage & trimmings, The Niece would come Full time in November last year and work for Full Time and then Go back to school and be our Working Student with a lower wage but full allowances and Start Yesterday 4 th June at School Azon ( my Wife, Took time off to get her Enrolled and measured for Uniform and set off to get what was needed (This was 2 weeks ago) We let her go Home to see the family and get what she needed [Report cards and ID] On Sunday Last 4th June, Azon took the Girl (19 bye the way) to a local Supplies store for the things she needed.

Low and behold as Azon was preparing to buy the stuff she (The girl) announced that Aunty did not think it was Good to go back to school WTF after all this. So we waited and listened to nothing but she told a lady at the school that Aunty did not want to do the bulk of the Work at the House while she was at school and just help out at Weekend and the Evening. We confirmed this with our niece who took her to give in here paperwork, Later we find out that one or both may go home while we were away in Cebu on the 15th, So last night we were eating Dinner, the dogs were frenzied as someone was at the gate, So I got annoyed that after a long day at  work they would sooner watch TV and eat than go see what was up at the gate. OH the story could gone on forever but to keep it shorter It transpires that the Aunt had been bullying the Girl to do what she did not want to do. Azon of course blames me as I should have said something, I did but as we all know, we are not often listened to. Lie on Lie about work and lack of time etc YET here we were paying for 2 helpers and getting less that 1 helpers output. Yes I see what it is, it is because we have a 19 year old that is Going to Doctors Hospital University to study medicine and they are helpers, Not my problem? apparently yes, She does nothing and we do it all, I will not allow the Lunatics to take over our asylum. They were getting a good wage Live in and ALL found but with collusion and deceit  as I see it, They carved out a very nice little living yet messed it up by not being Honest and upfront about things

To me they have taken advantage of a very good family that gave these two just about the best Living standard we could. All this came about mainly in the end because they felt it was not their job to do what they were paid for, to clear up after the Tiler had finished our Sala, ( hell of a lot of dust but..) As I said it could go one forever as we are finding out stuff now that justifies Azon sending them Home. Will they learn, don't bite the hand that feeds you? I doubt it, as in another Topic, this to me is just another loss we have when we are better off YET try so hard to help others achieve a better life than they are dealt with in the Deep Province. I started by saying it was new to me, laziness and most things we hear and talk about we can all understand BUT this is new to me. Goodness me, Planning a revolt to repay our kindness and thought for others. So in the End either way I would not have been going with my Little family to settle our Sprog into her new adventure. Annoyed, Me? yes I am livid.

Sorry G & G's but this could have had a bad effect on our marriage if it had not been overheard of their intentions just to go off Home while we were away. Why? I hear, well of course, it would have all been my fault Although I am upset as I sit here, Well done my Lady for seeing it as it is (was) 

MORAL

Never employ people form the same area or the same family. As this Topic is discussed (If it is) I no doubt will have answers to questions

Jack:huh: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

The wife is planning on a maid and a handy man to do the harder work. Her instincts say a married couple in their mid years, my suggestion, make sure they have the arse out of their pants so they know where they came from. :thumbsup:

I agree Jack, don't empoy relies for domestic help, wither there yours or not, couples I'll write on that when it happens, ( or pretty ones ) 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Clermont said:

The wife is planning on a maid and a handy man to do the harder work. Her instincts say a married couple in their mid years, my suggestion, make sure they have the arse out of their pants so they know where they came from. :thumbsup:

I agree Jack, don't empoy relies for domestic help, wither there yours or not, couples I'll write on that when it happens, ( or pretty ones ) 

This something that we just never came to terms with, We did have a gardener/handyman and the 1 helper but he left because he did not get on with the helper and as now he just never turned up while we were in Siquijor for the weekend, The next helper said OH! I can do the Garden too but it soon showed in the state of the Cleaning. [ not sure she actually liked cleaning but preferred the Garden] I Totally agree now with the bit in Red but it seems that many forget their beginnings and more to the point, Why? they are with us. Of course it does not make us any better than them but being Hungry can make a difference. Wish you well on your quest mate hope it all works out, Much to my Surprise "A" has found  (Hopefully)some  replacements that she now tells me she has been talking to for a week or So so maybe i should stop my Guilt trip :mellow: What I mean is she obviously knew what was going on with the lateness of things and  the sudden wanting to go home for 3/4 days that always stretched to 6/7 Oh Well! it is what it is EH?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Her instincts say a married couple in their mid years

My past experience is this does not work.  One of them will be lazy and if you fire the one you will lose them both.  Just my experience from a few years back when I used to hire people.  Best luck I ever had was one older lady who's husband was long gone and her kids were grown and she wanted to feel useful.  But even then she worked best under supervision and when letting her have a bit of her own way.

Finding good help is hard here.  My sympathies go out to Jack because he NEEDS a helper to maintain his retired lifestyle.  I wish Jack the best of luck finding another, better helper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But even then she worked best under supervision

I think That "A" has heard me on this, If not checked they just do what can be seen at a glance and never look for work "A" always tells me I am to critical yet! will have a blitz clean when we are expecting guests :89: Do it right first time comes to mind. :smile: I guess it will all be OK in the End but I did not retire and come here to work, Then how often do we say "You only get what you pay for" but then as us now, not always it seems to me OK OK I know close the door.jpg :thumbsup:

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

The helper been there done that got to start all over again !

I insisted the wife got a helper as she was all day cooking,cleaning,washing etc etc.

Oh boy what a problem having a helper is !

One wanted us to supply her with a breakfast and toothpaste before she started work

Which ok no problem, then she gave us the list of what she would not do !

No cooking,no shopping, no garden work, all she would do was wash clothes !

And for this she wanted 4000 pesos and her tricycle fares!

The one we did employ was ok for the first 2 weeks then she wanted a 2000 peso advance which we gave her 1500 she never turned up the next 2 days ! Then she said she wanted 3 weeks off as she was having builders in ! So it was bye bye to her.

There seems to be lots of helpers out there but findibg the right one !

So we are still looking

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We have been so fortunate with helpers. Some how I stumbled into a feudal world here. Our helpers come from a family that has been working for my wife's family for years. Our original made worked for us when ever we visited and then permanently as soon as we moved. When we had a function or party or extra work her sisters and cousins would show up. When had heavy stuff, her brothers. When she died her sister replaced her. On her days off a cousin comes. 

The do the marketing, empty the kats litter box, vacuum, dust, kook, clean the toilets in fact I have not heard them refuse to do any type of work.

I think the trick is in our case is that they are not live in, but show up each morning. (usually lolol)

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I sympathize, Jack. The one I liked left and the one we have is family. And although she can communicate with any man who comes to the gate, be they plumber, coconut-cutter-offer, water deliveryman, what have you, she treats me like a leper. She will actually go into a room she hadn't intended to if we're walking down the same hallway.

*sigh*

It's good you found out before your house was left untended. I hope you can find a good one or two.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Their are other solutions for maid services. :867:

Aeolus_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

This whole area around 'employing' family to do jobs (with the added intent of improving their standing of living) has been a bit of a minefield for me.

Some of it has worked well but others not so much, it really is a whole different mindset here and only being here 6 months in the year makes things even harder.

2 years before the last of my property investments in Australia are divested and I can be there full time, hopefully that will be easier.

Edited by GeoffH
Spelling
  • Like 2