Water refilling stations Beware

Rich wood
Posted
Posted

Hello all: many water refilling stations are now open or opening all over the Philippines. We have been buying from a local one for 2 years and I noticed I was getting some stomach cramping and believe it's coming from the water. 

I see the blue 5 gal jerrycans at gas stations, filled with coconut wine and locals filling at the river and who knows where your water can was the last several times out. Of course some are ok but I'm not sure that theses stations are sanatising  the cans properly 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Bottled water in the United States more likely comes from a municipal water source, filtered to remove the chlorine taste, and then sold to the public. It does not come from a  spring as portrayed in their advertising. Removing the chlorine makes the water taste better, but there is no bacteria preventive chemical in the event of contamination. Add to that the fact in the Philippines the retail industry you are describing is not regulated. You are right. The contamination most likely originates from unclean containers. 

If you are concerned about contaminated municipal water, my recommendation is to boil water in a large pot for at least 3 minutes. After cooling, transfer water to containers that are clean. Usually, the last rinse of the container is with water previously boiled. Repeat process every 4 or 5 days since the boiling reduces or removes the chlorine gas.

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rich wood said:

Hello all: many water refilling stations are now open or opening all over the Philippines. We have been buying from a local one for 2 years and I noticed I was getting some stomach cramping and believe it's coming from the water. 

I see the blue 5 gal jerrycans at gas stations, filled with coconut wine and locals filling at the river and who knows where your water can was the last several times out. Of course some are ok but I'm not sure that theses stations are sanatising  the cans properly 

I was using was a water refill station near the house for years. It looked clean, had all many filters, signs posted explaining how the filtration was done, updated health certificates.

While in the states, I bought a few of these kits to test my well water. 

http://www.labtechtests.com/Page/H2O_OK_Plus.aspx

The well (ground water)  test showed the alkalinity was a little high but all else was fine.

I later decided to test the water from the water refilling station and the Nitrates present were very high. I researched High Nitrates in drinking water and it is likely the water station is using ground water near leaking septic tanks from the many bldgs. close to his location.   

I changed who we get my water from to a refilling station with no neighbors near him. His water (from his well) tested within acceptable limits.   

• Like 1

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

I was using was a water refill station near the house for years. It looked clean, had all many filters, signs posted explaining how the filtration was done, updated health certificates.

While in the states, I bought a few of these kits to test my well water. 

http://www.labtechtests.com/Page/H2O_OK_Plus.aspx

The well (ground water)  test showed the alkalinity was a little high but all else was fine.

I later decided to test the water from the water refilling station and the Nitrates present were very high. I researched High Nitrates in drinking water and it is likely the water station is using ground water near leaking septic tanks from the many bldgs. close to his location.   

I changed who we get my water from to a refilling station with no neighbors near him. His water (from his well) tested within acceptable limits.   

Most of the new stations are franchises and they are supposed to check on the stations . Yes ground water here is in most cases very contaminated especially where there is a high population. Thanks for your input . Rich 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Rich wood said:

We have been buying from a local one for 2 years and I noticed I was getting some stomach cramping and believe it's coming from the water. 

Are you thoroughly cleaning the outside of the bottle and dispenser every time you change bottles?  In the past I had similar problems but cleaning the bottles and dispenser with alcohol every time I changed bottles totally cleared it up.  In a similar way, people who have a glass of coke or beer in a restaurant and get stomach cramps often blame it on the ice, but I ask, did they thoroughly clean the top of the bottle before pouring.  You don't want to know the things I have seen going onto those bottles.  Filipinos seem to get a laugh out of that and all the locals know:  Clean the outside, especially the area that will come in contact with the fluid when it comes out of the bottle.

• Like 4

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

That is why when you buy a bottle of beer for instance, you get a nice piece of Paper towel wrapped around the top so you can clean it, (So I am told) and I certainly do wipe it before drinking my Beer

Yes I totally agree!

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Bottled water in the United States more likely comes from a municipal water source, filtered to remove the chlorine taste, and then sold to the public. It does not come from a  spring as portrayed in their advertising. Removing the chlorine makes the water taste better, but there is no bacteria preventive chemical in the event of contamination. Add to that the fact in the Philippines the retail industry you are describing is not regulated. You are right. The contamination most likely originates from unclean containers. 

If you are concerned about contaminated municipal water, my recommendation is to boil water in a large pot for at least 3 minutes. After cooling, transfer water to containers that are clean. Usually, the last rinse of the container is with water previously boiled. Repeat process every 4 or 5 days since the boiling reduces or removes the chlorine gas.

Yes this is supposed to work, But I've eaten rice at chow king and no problem if I eat rice here in our Bngy I have problems and it boils as do many Filipino foods fixed here.

Howard
Posted
Posted

We only drink bottled water nowadays. Either Absolute or Wilkins. We used to buy from the refilling stations but like you I would start having grumblings in my stomach after drinking it. We had a good place that we used to go to but since we moved they won't deliver here. you are pretty much stuck buying from the stations in your local Barangay. I believe half the time those stations just fill the containers with Manila water and the other half  haven't changed the filters or whatever in years. It's usually just kids working at them and I'm sure they have no education in water purification or chemicals, they just do what they are told.My wife and relatives don't have a problem with it as they see anything in a blue jug as being mineral, so when they are visiting we get a jug or two filled for them and everyone is happy.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You get used water jugs?  We use the water filling station. I don't worry about what other people do with their jugs - we get our jugs back.  When they wear out we buy new ones in the city, and wait at the water shop while they fill them.

• Like 2