Buying organic fruit and veggies

Rich wood
Posted
Posted

Hey all: I wanted a real tomato for sandwiches and salad that has some taste, not the egg size they grow here. I did find a few in pure gold and some SM markets but at p400 to p500 per kilo almost the price of steak. We have a hector of land so I looked into growing my own organic vegetables. I was amazed to find the land has been so over used for so many years it would take over 100 years for the pesticide and herbasides to be eliminated plus the earth on our farm was very acid and not good to grow much. To be able to sell organic vegetables you have to be approved by a government agency what a joke "just pay a fee and you are approved " we now grow our own true organic vegetables for our consumption only but not in the earth . We found the same for organic vegetables state side the price is about 50 percent higher and most aren't truely organic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A former high school classmate grows tomatoes and peppers in greenhouses in Tagaytay as a commercial venture. He gets a yield of 400 kilos per greenhouse per day. The produce are sold to restaurants and hotels in Metro Manila. Excellent quality. My wife purchased 3 kilos each during out last stay and she had it nearly every day. The hydroponic technology and greenhouses comes from Israel.

You can overcome poor soil condition if there is a source for compost near your location. You would need to spread it in trolleys. For home gardens, interlacing bamboo sticks is sufficient. Commercial growing requires the additional purchase of  mono-filament lines from a fishing supply store.. 

If you are interested as a business, You can grow tomatoes as a hanging plant or in plastic buckets.  Home owners harvest tomatoes as needed. My mother-in-law has six planters. Only requirement is watering.

• Thanks 1

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

A former high school classmate grows tomatoes and peppers in greenhouses in Tagaytay as a commercial venture. He gets a yield of 400 kilos per greenhouse per day. The produce are sold to restaurants and hotels in Metro Manila. Excellent quality. My wife purchased 3 kilos each during out last stay and she had it nearly every day. The hydroponic technology and greenhouses comes from Israel.

You can overcome poor soil condition if there is a source for compost near your location. You would need to spread it in trolleys. For home gardens, interlacing bamboo sticks is sufficient. Commercial growing requires the additional purchase of  mono-filament lines from a fishing supply store.. 

If you are interested as a business, You can grow tomatoes as a hanging plant or in plastic buckets.  Home owners harvest tomatoes as needed. My mother-in-law has six planters. Only requirement is watering.

The only problem is you can't get rid of the residual chemicals in the soil we also grow in hydroponic greenhouse with talipa pond feeding the plants Thanks 

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Rich wood said:

The only problem is you can't get rid of the residual chemicals in the soil we also grow in hydroponic greenhouse with talipa pond feeding the plants Thanks 

We are very close to your friend that grows tomatoes ,Would like to go there we shop weekly in Santa Rosa for our restaurant supplies and it's abut 30 minutes to Tagaytay thanks Rich 

RBM
Posted
Posted

We are growing successfully lettuces from NZ and have more than we can eat. Our tomatoes our now around 1.20 high and being effected by aphids which turns the leaves white looking, we are not great gardeners how ever wish not use insecticide.  Have been spraying with a weak vinegar water mixture. The plants are flowering how ever after flower the stem is breaking off. One local whom seemed knowledgeable  says its lack of sun. Comments welcome.

• Like 1

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, RBM said:

We are growing successfully lettuces from NZ and have more than we can eat. Our tomatoes our now around 1.20 high and being effected by aphids which turns the leaves white looking, we are not great gardeners how ever wish not use insecticide.  Have been spraying with a weak vinegar water mixture. The plants are flowering how ever after flower the stem is breaking off. One local whom seemed knowledgeable  says its lack of sun. Comments welcome.

We found the same problem, sun is a issue tomatoes like heat and sun my family grows tomatoes commercially in the states for Delmonty and Heinz . They are using a mixture of boiling hot chili with vegetable oils and dish soap which works well for aphids just don't over spray and do it in the evening 

• Thanks 1