Living with Filipinos Great experience

Rich wood
Posted
Posted

For those of you who haven't had the experience your in for a treat and shock! Filipinos are warm caring family people who if you treat them with respect and live by their culture you became family. Being an American this comes as a shock as most Americans couldn't and don't care if you live or die, as they have their own agendas . The cultural difference is a big thing you have learn and live with quickly as I have done ,this makes life easier and your stay or living in the Islands very pleasurable. I have seen some people from other countries here and treating the locals badly or trying to take advantage of , they need to go back and live with their type .

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think you need to meet more Filipinos. There are many great people in the Philippines. Some that are less so but still good people. Then there are average persons. Then there are some you are better off avoiding, just like anywhere else.

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

My experience here in the Philippines is certainly a lot different

to the life I would have if I were in the UK, here in phil I get treated with respect

Everywhere I go unless its a government dept where often it can be a bit daunting

But thats where my wife is a blessing as she used be an office manager for a gov dept !

Yes there are relatives everywhere in the road we live there are aunts,cousins,brothers etc 

In every other house ! In the UK we wouldnt have the standard of living like we have here in phil

And both of us being pensioners we would be more or less classed as second class citizens.

As the TV advert goes if your with Filipinos your with family !

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Rich wood said:

Being an American this comes as a shock as most Americans

I can agree with that, I have 36 cousins, some as old as my Dad, most could walk up to me on the street, kick me in the butt and I wouldn't recognize them lol. Here they take relations to the enth degree. Not counting batch mates and work mates then you move onto just normal friends and casual aquantenses :571c66d400c8c_1(103):.

11 hours ago, Rich wood said:

warm caring family people

But I have also taken off the rose colored glasses and have come to believe that this type of "family" orientation also holds the society as a whole back a bit. Loyalty seems to be to self, nuclear family, extended family, extended-extended family then to society as a whole. Where as in the west you hit the age of 18 or finish your schooling, you get the boot and its sink or swim time (in most cases). Here as has been noted it is not unusual to see three generations in the same house or compound. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?? Not really my place to say, but I just keep my eyes open and mouth shut:56da64af91f92_23_11_602: 

• Like 1

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Old55 said:

Respectfully I take exception with your negative description of Americans. Not my experience at all. Are there cultural differences? Yes sure.

I came from the US and was raised in a small country town by my grandparents at age of 5 they passed and I was sent to a large city to live in a orphanage. Having several aunts and uncles none helped me you surly don't see that with Filipinos they support family , and my wife's family has excepted and treated me as a family member. Thanks 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rich, in perspective I now understand how you feel. :tiphat:

My family here in the US were close had large get together's weekly. They are all past on now. My wife and I are close to her family some live nearby us here in the States. 

My mother in law visits us here off and on and we visit our family in Cebu and Leyte as well. Wonderful folks. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Rich, in perspective I now understand how you feel. :tiphat:

My family here in the US were close had large get together's weekly. They are all past on now. My wife and I are close to her family some live nearby us here in the States. 

My mother in law visits us here off and on and we visit our family in Cebu and Leyte as well. Wonderful folks. 

I think the world has changed so much as today we have to scramble just to survive with rising prices on everything from food to housing we have lost the old world ways. Where family and neighbors came first now it is so tough just to get by, our son lives in Las Vegas he and his wife have 3 jobs to be able to just get by and really they have it tough . I remember going to the store and buying a candy bar for 5 cents today 1 dollar and it's smaller a pound of balony was 15 cents today 2 bucks, I bought my first car in 1964 new Camero paid $1,200. Same car today $40,000. Enough said.

virginprune
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rich wood said:

I remember going to the store and buying a candy bar for 5 cents today 1 dollar and it's smaller a pound of balony was 15 cents today 2 bucks, I bought my first car in 1964 new Camero paid $1,200. Same car today $40,000. Enough said.

The 'back in my day' analogies are a bit of a red herring. Surely todays prices are a reflection of todays wages. I know how prices were many years ago but I also remember what I was earning.

• Like 4