Living with Filipinos Great experience

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

5 hours ago, virginprune said:

I bought my first car in 1964 new Camero paid $1,200. Same car today $40,000. Enough said.

I'm not sure about the USA but in Australia....

In 1965 a school bus driver was paid $40 Australian a week take home pay, a brand new 1965 HD Holden 'Special' with the optional larger motor (General Motors Australia, 1 grade up from base model) was $2490.  That represents  62 1/4 weeks wages.  Currently a new Holden Commodore RS (1 grade up from base) with the optional larger motor is $40,790 which represents roughly 41 weeks of wages.

And that's without taking into account how much cheaper electronic goods like TVs are, a good TV in the 1960s cost several weeks wages in Australia and now you can uy a good one with a single pay.  Other examples abound.

What has gotten more expensive in comparison to wage growth is the cost of fuel and the cost of real estate, that's one reason I initially looked at the Philippines, the cheap cost of both rent and purchase of property (although cars are relatively expensive which is the main other 'big ticket' item).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I'm not sure about the USA but in Australia....

In 1965 a school bus driver was paid $40 Australian a week take home pay, a brand new 1965 HD Holden 'Special' with the optional larger motor (General Motors Australia, 1 grade up from base model) was $2490.  That represents  62 1/4 weeks wages.  Currently a new Holden Commodore RS (1 grade up from base) with the optional larger motor is $40,790 which represents roughly 41 weeks of wages.

And that's without taking into account how much cheaper electronic goods like TVs are, a good TV in the 1960s cost several weeks wages in Australia and now you can uy a good one with a single pay.  Other examples abound.

What has gotten more expensive in comparison to wage growth is the cost of fuel and the cost of real estate, that's one reason I initially looked at the Philippines, the cheap cost of both rent and purchase of property (although cars are relatively expensive which is the main other 'big ticket' item).

You have actually quoted part of the post from Rich Wood, not me. I quoted his statement and challenged it, in a similar vein as yourself.

If you read my post you will notice your error.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, virginprune said:

The 'back in my day' analogies are a bit of a red herring. Surely todays prices are a reflection of todays wages. I know how prices were many years ago but I also remember what I was earning.

Would one of you please consider starting a new topic in regards to pricing changes of items indigenous to Philippines adjusted for inflation. For example I see prices of fresh seafood have gone up significantly more than inflation over the past 20 years.

We can get back on topic Living With Filipinos, please? Keeping in mind I’m one of the worse off topic offenders!🎱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, virginprune said:

You have actually quoted part of the post from Rich Wood, not me. I quoted his statement and challenged it, in a similar vein as yourself.

If you read my post you will notice your error.

Oops! 

My sincere and unreserved apologies for my error.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I'm still curious as to a 1964 Camaro........thought they came out in 69..may hace been a bit earlier as I was not in county then.  ustang hit in 1964 1/2 introed as 1965. big engine was 260 V8 same as Sunbeam Tiger.  

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Camaro's came out Sep 1966, 1967 was the first model year.

I saw that as well and think the poster got confused with Mustang.

Edited by Old55
  • Thanks 1