Posted
Posted

Let’s please keep to topic not calling out anyone just in general. 🏝🏖

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Rooster said:

I'm curious, what is it that attracts foreigners to the Davao area compared to other areas in the PI where there are far less kidnapping and beheadings of foreigners?

Please give us some details that support that statement.  How many kidnappings and beheadings have there been in the city of Davao?  I don't know of any unless you count the one in 2015 on Samal Island that is 50 km away from Davao City.  I do know of plenty of foreigners murdered or dying suspicious deaths in many parts of Philippines but Davao City isn't one of them.  I hear its pretty safe.  Have you got some links to show otherwise?  Keep in mind that the "Dateline" on the articles may show Davao City (Click here for the example on Samal Island in 2015 ) but that is just where the reporter is writing the story, it is not where the story happened.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Please give us some details that support that statement.  How many kidnappings and beheadings have there been in the city of Davao?  I don't know of any unless you count the one in 2015 on Samal Island that is 50 km away from Davao City.  I do know of plenty of foreigners murdered or dying suspicious deaths in many parts of Philippines but Davao City isn't one of them.  I hear its pretty safe.  Have you got some links to show otherwise?  Keep in mind that the "Dateline" on the articles may show Davao City (Click here for the example on Samal Island in 2015 ) but that is just where the reporter is writing the story, it is not where the story happened.

Dave, Samal Island is right next to Davao City.  I wanted to go there when we visited Davao in 2012, but didn't make it.  Check it on Google maps.  Maybe 5 km across a channel?

The bigger worry recently in Davao City is bombings.  There have been several in the past 5 years.

The reason that I decided Davao would not be a good place to live was because even if the city is very safe, the surrounding areas are not safe.  If you want to take a vacation and be safe, you should fly out of there to a safe area.  Driving in some of the surrounding areas is not safe enough to risk my family's lives on it.  I think that is what the poster was getting at;  the larger area is not safe.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Check it on Google maps

Yeah, I did.  Its where I saw that it was 50 km away.  So I accept your first-hand experience.  But I am confused that you say it is 5 km away, and to check it on Google maps, which says it is 47 km away. 

Samal.jpg

I think I look at Davao with rose-coloured glasses because so many friends have been there and reported back that it is a safe city.  It is only their perception I suppose.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yeah, I did.  Its where I saw that it was 50 km away.  So I accept your first-hand experience.  But I am confused that you say it is 5 km away, and to check it on Google maps, which says it is 47 km away. 

Samal.jpg

I think I look at Davao with rose-coloured glasses because so many friends have been there and reported back that it is a safe city.  It is only their perception I suppose.

Don't get me wrong; we liked Davao and felt safe.  Living there would be confining.

Not sure why google puts the name there.  We stayed near People's Park and I thought that was a main area.  The airport is also on the coast near Samal.

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.☺

I would add a few cities to your list, depending on your interests.

Tagaytay...it's maybe a bit more expensive than your budget may handle but it's higher elevation so it's cooler.  Also known as the second summer home in the Philippines.  Baguio being the first.

San Pablo..also fairly high in elevation with 7 lakes around.  Decent prices and not too far from the bigger city of Santa Rosa.

Santa Rosa.  Not far from Tagaytay and San Pablo, Manila is also fairly close.  Less expensive than Manila and Tagaytay and lots to do there.

Regards and welcome again.

• Like 1

Tstone
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gary D said:

Your budget sounds good at the moment but you are young  and inflation in the Philippines is 2 or 3 times of that in the west. Your budget will be tight in 10 years, in 20 years possibly inadequate.

Hmm.  Let's tackle the budget issue another way...if you had a lump of cash, how much would you need at age 40 to feel secure in a move to the Philippines, living comfortably but not extravagantly? 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tstone said:

Hmm.  Let's tackle the budget issue another way...if you had a lump of cash, how much would you need at age 40 to feel secure in a move to the Philippines, living comfortably but not extravagantly? 

Very difficult to say.

Roughly $500,000 in a life annuity may yield about $30,000 a year. If inflation were flat and everything goes well.

The same amount invested could do much better. Or worse.

Tstone
Posted
Posted

Yeah that's the thing -  if the number is 500k, even assuming a *very* conservative growth of 5% a year on it investing, that's 2k/month right there.  You just never know about market crashes or insane inflation or something playing with things.  It's not like you can feel too confident in market stability with the guy in office right now who is...unpredictable at best.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tstone said:

The biggest problem with budget is no one else can tell you what your comfort level is.  My wife and I live on $10,000 a year. We find it comfortable, and quite easy. I have been here 5 years and our expenses have not really changed. I do think over the coming years I will probably have to increase that amount... time will tell.  I do not have a lump sum,  I have a dependable monthly amount.

• Thanks 1