Planning my "scouting" trip

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tstone said:

So you're in Iloilo.  Maybe I should make sure that's on my trip :D  What would you say you're doing "without" compared to say, another expat who prefers more western comforts?  Like If I were to snap commit to exactly your living conditions, what would be the things I'd notice as absent that I might have now in the U.S?  Just trying to get a handle on what 10k can afford basically.  I really don't have high demands, at least I don't think.  I'm happy with quiet days and don't mind keeping to myself a lot, but I do like plumbing and internet and to not be 90 degrees indoors if I can help it.

Our night life is woefully inadequate. I am married and I am bored here ha ha  Our grocery shopping is more limited, but getting better. I needed some paint for a model ship I was building... I had to go to Manila for it! 

Housing and internet are about the same as anywhere else. You get what you pay for.  I tell people Iloilo is a nice place to live but I would not want to vacation here :tiphat:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tstone said:

Well that's not my exact number but if 500k only last you 10 years that doesn't fill me with confidence.  Ugh :D

500K invested reasonably safely should provide ~4-6 thousand USD a month without touching the principal. I was being somewhat sarcastic in my earlier post. Yes there will be wars recessions and other occurrences affecting markets.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I hope you enjoy your scouting trip to the Phil's , I had my first scouting trip last march ,/April .

I flew into manilla ,I managed to get hussled by cab drivers at the airport and an Australian trying to beg money off of me , I did not part with any money other than to buy a jollibee ,I then flew down to Davao and was met by a lady and her mum , we then went up to the boonies at a place called Compostela where I met her family.

The following day it was back to Davao where we got a boat to a resort in samal, spent 6 nights there before returning to Davao for a day ,we then went on to pampanga and from there subic 

I ate at street food places and at restaurants , I experienced no problems

My favourite place was samal ,I just chilled out ,Davao was great ,I enjoyed the night market and the mall ,subic was fine but not what I was after ,the trip to pampanga and Compostela was a great way to see how the locals live 

I would advise against you using a jeepney ,I am.6ft.1 and they are too small for me ,very uncomfortable , you will also find walking in the night market a challenge to your height ,I found it amusing having to constantly block the ropes that are around 5ft 9 from the ground lol 

As far as security in Davao or samal ,I never felt in any danger , if you speak to people from Mindanao you will get a variety of answers regarding safety , I will go with the flow and say that the western side is less safe than the eastern side 

I will be back in Davao during July , I found it that scarry ,a lot of people who have never been there will give you bad information , just be cool ,laugh with the locals ,not at them , don't cause anyone to loose face , don't fall in love with the first beautiful girl that smiles at you ,and remember that the majority of them see  you as a walking ATM machine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

4000 a month on 500k is over 10% annual return.

Please, please, please tell me where I can get that safely!

Reasonably safely.

PM sent 

• Like 1

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

4000 a month on 500k is over 10% annual return.

Please, please, please tell me where I can get that safely!

Retain an Investment Attorney prior to touching a penny of your nest egg, people in this very thread said they have been investment scam victims.  The healthcare aspect can be a big one, both routine annual visits and unexpected E.R. visits.

Tstone
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Our night life is woefully inadequate. I am married and I am bored here ha ha  Our grocery shopping is more limited, but getting better. I needed some paint for a model ship I was building... I had to go to Manila for it! 

Housing and internet are about the same as anywhere else. You get what you pay for.  I tell people Iloilo is a nice place to live but I would not want to vacation here :tiphat:

Well, I don't care about nightlife in terms of bars and clubs...but I do need a dating pool. :)

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Did you mean strong taste?  Or perhaps strong smell? :hystery: I have spent my share of time in that part of Cebu and it's definitely "urban".  Don't get me wrong, on my budget I like the area and I like the Century hotel (except they do not have adequate parking and that stops me from staying there much.)  

I'm just trying to say its not for everyone.  In fact, most new tourists I have taken there turn their nose up at it. People are spoiled these days.

About 10 years ago, I told an American to stay where I stay, at Cebu Century. It was his first time in the Philippines. 

He contacted me after the first night to abuse me for even suggesting such a place. He then went off to meet his fiance, travelled around a bit came back to Cebu City and stayed again at the Cebu Century. He contacted me again to appologise and said it was the culture shock!

I now recommend to newbies that they stay at a hotel opposite Ayala Mall so they can ease into life in the Philippines. Unless they specifically say they are seeking budget accommodation. Or make comments such as seeking a strong taste of daily life.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Well I had a good laugh at that story Jim, understandably. You make a good point first time visitors may feel better having a "western" experience the first day or two especially after a 20+ hour airplane flight.

• Like 3