Philippine Stock Market

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Any expats who invest in the Philippine Stock Market? Do you need to transact using a broker or can you open an online account to buy & sell?   

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted

Serious question, what laws protect foreigner PI investors against scams?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, AwesomeLife said:

what laws protect foreigner PI investors against scams?

I am sure there are laws.  I have not seen them work to protect foreign investors in PI.  The law works too slow to help you.  So how does one invest in the stock market here?  If you want a passive investment I would suggest the "Security Bank Philippine Equity Index Fund".  I am not associated with them and get nothing out of this.  I am just mentioning a bank that has, IMHO, a good mutual fund type plan;

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Any expats who invest in the Philippine Stock Market? Do you need to transact using a broker or can you open an online account to buy & sell?   

I had a look at it, with BPI a Filipino can open a trading account  to trade much as we do in the west.

Some of the larger stocks have pretty attractive divi yields, moment some  emerging markets are showing negative signs which may well spread so holding off this time.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, RBM said:

I had a look at it, with BPI a Filipino can open a trading account  to trade much as we do in the west.

Some of the larger stocks have pretty attractive divi yields, moment some  emerging markets are showing negative signs which may well spread so holding off this time.

BPI was courting me for some investment products, so I assume a foreigner can get some products.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

BPI was courting me for some investment products, so I assume a foreigner can get some products.

Even if foreigners can't it probably wouldn't stop them trying. The bank that is.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Google Foreigners, Philippine stock exchange

BPI Trade

https://www.bpitrade.com/

Some Expats i know mentioned they are investing in  http://www.pnb.com.ph/index.php/personal-banking/investments/treasury-bonds.html for their wives. Safe, but low return.

My thoughts; 2 years ago I had surgery on my ankle. The surgeon was the Arthroscopic Doc for Philippine Basketball Players. When he found out I lived in La Union, he mentioned he and his fellow docs were investing in Titled land in San Juan, La Union and Angeles City area because the prices were sky rocketing there.

The wife and I have also done well with titled land increasing in value greater than any other investment.

I have a wealthy Filipino friend who uses https://psa.gov.ph/statistics/administrative-based/construction and https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=295 to find the hot spots and gauges it by number of permits being issued compared to other areas.

With the peso rate to the dollar almost reaching 53, now is a good time to invest in something.

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted

JJ

My wife and I have invested and play at it. We use a broker with a good online site. Can PM you details if you like.

Paul

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PaulB said:

JJ

My wife and I have invested and play at it. We use a broker with a good online site. Can PM you details if you like.

Paul

Google Online Stock Market Game. I think there is one for the Philippines as well.

Years ago I used one. I started out with $100,000 (game money account, not real money) to invest. I ended up losing it all fast. I pursued high risk high return. 

These online Stock Market Games are an excellent way to learn the stock market terms, tactics and strategies and use real scenarios except the money used for the game is not real so there is no actual financial gain or loss. 

Edited by Rooster

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, PaulB said:

We use a broker

I've often wondered at the irony of a "broker" helping someone get "richer" :shooter:  Must work though. Lots of irony in English.  I think I'll go take a sh--.  Wait a minute.  I don't want to take one.  I want to go get rid of one. :bonk:   Irony I tell ya!

• Like 3