How Safe is Philippines?

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

The traffic situation scares the shit out of me. The roads are truly dangerous. The house is in a 'hood which has not seen a burglary in at least 40 years though, so there's that.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I feel safe here in Davao, knowing that the caveat is no one is truly safe anywhere. Even out in the wilds of British Columbia, one of those silent trees that fall in the woods could whack you on the noggin unannounced.

I let my wife react for me in a lot of ways because she's native. She decided that Cotabato wasn't as safe for me as Davao City. She dictated our wall height with me dictating it be higher at the rear which faces a vacant parcel. She still tries to tell me when to cross the street but I'm trying to break her of it. 

On the other hand, Davao is different. Duterte's reputation is part of it but the people are a bit different themselves here. My wife just opened a little eatery. I asked her if she wasn't afraid that here new equipment would be stolen. She replied, "They wouldn't do that." My mouth hung open for a while because, as a building maintenance guy in Seattle, I had to replace doors and door hardware that were destroyed by people breaking into eateries to steal equipment. I watched security cam video of a couple of turds with a chain and a pickup truck trying to steal the parking payment machine outside of one our buildings.

So far, no one has jimmied the wooden doors and made off with the chiller at her place. I'm kind of amazed.

In the end, the best advice is to apply a practical amount of security but not enough to make people wonder what's so darn valuable behind that wall... And keep your wits about you.

Currently sitting in a condo in davao , I like this city , it feels safe and the locals go out their way to proclaim it's secure . I had a walk around the city center at night , is it not feel threatened,  i took a walk during daylight around the area where the mall that caught fire is , i wandered around the back streets and was surprized at the lack of iron bars on the windows of some houses ,the only time I have felt unsafe was coming down mount APP after a visit to Eden park , I just do not have faith in those tricycle

I did amuse the locals when I got in a jeepney ,they not built for 6ft 1 Kanu lol 

• Like 3

Capa
Posted
Posted
On 7/11/2018 at 8:22 AM, sonjack2847 said:

I have had dobermans in the past and poison meat will sort them out.Your house sounds like a fortress and if that makes you feel safe, that is ok.I for one would not want to live like that.I think if expats keep themselves under control they will( unless they are unlucky) have no problems.

You make some good points. Well, the house is not exactly the way I would personally set it up, but I bought it from an ex-USMC expat (dishonorably discharged) that had all that gear installed. I am in the process of tailoring it better to what suits me. And you are correct, expats should control themselves: do not patronize sleazy bars, do not get into confrontations late at night with drunken locals that have IQs lower than my German Shepherd, do not stray far from home after dark. Follow simple situational awareness rules and you will be fine!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Capa said:

I bought it from an ex-USMC expat (dishonorably discharged)

I am sure he did not tell you that, Hearsay? Not the sort of thing we should be saying on an open forum if we are not 100% sure

5 minutes ago, Capa said:

drunken locals that have IQs lower than my German Shepherd,

Hmmm very complimentary (Not) of the people you have chosen to live amongst,

Capa My friend many times members have said or asked, just why are you here? Your negatives will just draw posts that I for one do not like to hear, We all suffer at times but most of us say it with a little humour and definitely tongue in cheek. :wink:

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Your negatives will just draw posts that I for one do not like to hear

I know it's old fashioned advice, but I was brought up to believe that if you cannot say anything good about someone then you should not say anything at all.

• Like 4

Doug B
Posted
Posted

Ive been asking my gf every now and then about the safety of her area of Mindanao, near Isulan, she says its quite safe. I read about 4 or 5 online news outlets, and the martial law and the containment of any NPA, BIFF or any other terrorist groups seems to be working, I'm still worried as its my first trip, which will be end of next year. Fortunately my new family are eager to see my gf's new guy, and lots of bonding with them is planned, also with the neighbours too, there's a good feeling of neighbourly closeness in her village...in a nutshell, i think from the feedback ive had from this tiny area of the Philippines, its quite safe, but surround yourself with family and friends that you trust.  Thats an opinion from someone who hasnt even been to the Philippines yet !

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Doug B said:

Ive been asking my gf every now and then about the safety of her area of Mindanao, near Isulan, she says its quite safe. I read about 4 or 5 online news outlets, and the martial law and the containment of any NPA, BIFF or any other terrorist groups seems to be working, I'm still worried as its my first trip, which will be end of next year. Fortunately my new family are eager to see my gf's new guy, and lots of bonding with them is planned, also with the neighbours too, there's a good feeling of neighbourly closeness in her village...in a nutshell, i think from the feedback ive had from this tiny area of the Philippines, its quite safe, but surround yourself with family and friends that you trust.  Thats an opinion from someone who hasnt even been to the Philippines yet !

Yes it's certain for your first time visit there will be a heap of family and neighbours just awaiting.

Whom knows some may even be that slightly little bit hungry while others may have various medical issues your able to help with.

All in all a warm welcome awaits.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Capa
Posted
Posted
On 7/11/2018 at 8:22 AM, sonjack2847 said:

I have had dobermans in the past and poison meat will sort them out.

And what kind of poison would you use to "sort them out"? Cyanide, Ricin, Sarin, or maybe Plutonium-239?

• Sad 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Capa said:

And what kind of poison would you use to "sort them out"? Cyanide, Ricin, Sarin, or maybe Plutonium-239?

One ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight should do it.