Isle of Man TT

Rooster
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Local bike enthusiasts are raving about the Kawasaki Versys 650 but it costs 425K pesos.

http://www.motortrade.com.ph/motorcycles/kawasaki/versys-650

There is also a less expensive Versys X300 which is a smaller version with a smaller price tag (270K pesos)

http://www.motortrade.com.ph/motorcycles/kawasaki/versys-x

I am not a fan of the larger bikes but these are said to be pretty nice bikes for the local terrain and driving conditions.

Problem with the 300 is not allowed on the Expressways like NLEX/TPLEX/SCTEX and others. only 400cc & above

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, bastonjock said:

It's something else the IOM TT ,it. Is not for the faint hearted ,they have a day called mad Sunday , everyone is allowed on the track ,it's madness absolute madness

Yes a friend had a crash and died there on that day.

• Sad 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

These Riders are special!

They are an extremely rare breed of riders who travel to Isle of Man not for the money. They wish only to be among their own kind and seek where they rank among their own kind. 

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The Kawasaki Versys 650 has always gotten excellent reviews from motorcycle magazines when it's been reviewed in Australia and 425K pesos is not really that much when you think that my Street Glide (with options) cost me $39000 Australian (about 1.55 million) but I don't know how much I'd actually use a motorbike when I'm in CDO. 

I could always test ride a Versys when I'm in Australia I guess (probably easier getting a test bike than in CDO), no rush to buy just yet.

I've got a mate who swear by his versis

The question I'd like to ask someone who rides in warmer climates ,what protective gear do you wear ?

I just don't fancy sliding down the road in shorts and tee shirt

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Yes a friend had a crash and died there on that day.

Sorry to hear that.

However, the one theme I get from all the videos I watched was that you really have to love riding and riding fast to go over there and do the TT course.  Due to the history, everyone knows going in that it could be their last ride.

So I guess that if they are that passionate, then at least they die doing something they love.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I've got a mate who swear by his versis

The question I'd like to ask someone who rides in warmer climates ,what protective gear do you wear ?

Riders in the north part of Australia wear a helmet, short boots and gloves mostly (even the police) unless they’re full on sports bike riders.  The climate in summer isn’t that different to the Philippines (humidity and temperature) but it’s sub-tropical not tropical so there a cool season (20-25c) as well as a hot season (Phil’s temps mostly).

In Australia I’ve got a leather jacket for when it’s cooler and a full mesh jacket for when it’s hotter but even that is too much in a city when it’s hot and humid (ok on a highway though).  mine is an earlier version but they haven’t altered much.

https://bikereview.com.au/new-product-dririder-air-ride-4-jacket/

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bastonjock said:

As an observer, I can tell you that newer expats tend to gear up fully.  There is riding gear with ventilation to allow the air through and there are undergarments to absorb sweat and cool the body.  But those are newer expats.  After years of doing it, I notice they start to discard the gear and end up with battle scars on their body somewhere, usually knees or legs.  The last thing to get discarded is usually the helmet.

Disclaimer:  I am not saying this is "everyone" I am saying it is the general observable trend.  And I can name names :cheersty:

• Like 2

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Mad dogs and Englishmen.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
lobojohn
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2018 at 6:20 PM, Rooster said: