UPS

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Brown Out or Black Out?

It's been sometime since I experienced one and I am no longer certain about the terminology. My recollection is Brown Out is a scheduled power interruption whereas Black Out is sudden and unexpected. Is this correct?

If you are referring to my post, yes, correct.  We have never had a brownout in Subic Bay Freeport and we have our own power plant.  Nearby Olongapo has scheduled outages for repairs so I guess that is brownout?

In strictest terms, my mind thinks of a brownout as when there is not enough electricity to go around, so the power co. cuts some areas temporarily, as in "rolling brownouts".

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Brown Out or Black Out?

It's been sometime since I experienced one and I am no longer certain about the terminology. My recollection is Brown Out is a scheduled power interruption whereas Black Out is sudden and unexpected. Is this correct?

Depends on where you live...  A brownout is a reduction in power, intentional, or not. The lights dim, fans slow down, electronics overheat. It is usually pretty short. A blackout is a full loss of power.

In the PIs, not so much.  Power dims, goes out for 5 minutes, or 5 days, they still call it a brownout. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I built a system very similar to AlwaysRt. A plywood box containing two 100ah deep cycle batteries, a 1000w pure sinewave invertor and a multistage ' inteligent ' battery charger. It will run tv,  expat tv media box, internet modem, three fans and several led lights for about 4 hours before the battery gets down to about 50% state of charge. Battery SOC is monitored by a smartgauge battery monitor.

For prolonged brownouts I have a little Honda eu10i genny (900 watts) which runs everything we need apart from a/c.

IMG_0471.JPGIMG_0472.JPGIMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0478.JPGIMG_0479.JPG

• Like 3

PaulB
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I built a system very similar to AlwaysRt. A plywood box containing two 100ah deep cycle batteries, a 1000w pure sinewave invertor and a multistage ' inteligent ' battery charger. It will run tv,  expat tv media box, internet modem, three fans and several led lights for about 4 hours before the battery gets down to about 50% state of charge. Battery SOC is monitored by a smartgauge battery monitor.

For prolonged brownouts I have a little Honda eu10i genny (900 watts) which runs everything we need apart from a/c.

Would you sell and ship?

PaulB
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

This is a pic of a UPS I 'built' with a standard computer UPS in front. The blue box is a 170 amp hour battery, the grey box is a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger/AVR, the brown box is the UPS I replaced.

The setup runs my 65" TV with soundbar, laptop, wifi router, and 18" floor fan for over 8 hours. I see no reason to mess with the cost, noise, maintenance, and taking the time to decide going outside to setup and start a generator. Low power I'm good, power surge I'm good, no power I'm good... The unit switches to battery power in a few milliseconds - so fast the TV does not even blink. When the power goes out during the day I don't even know it.

If I wanted to power more devices and/or have a longer duration, I would add battery(ies) and solar to keep them charged.

20170809_110838.jpg

Would you sell and ship?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, PaulB said:
8 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Would you sell and ship?

The problem is getting the good quality components. I brought over the items from the UK. The cheap chinese made rubbish components you find over here are just not up to the job IMHO. if you can obtain the components then any half reasonable electrician could assemble them.

Ken

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 6/18/2018 at 5:02 PM, PaulB said:

Would you sell and ship?

Sell and ship what to where? The answer to your question is no, I am using what I have. I asked for clarification so I could help you source the parts you want.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:17 AM, Huggybearman said:

The problem is getting the good quality components. I brought over the items from the UK. The cheap chinese made rubbish components you find over here are just not up to the job IMHO. if you can obtain the components then any half reasonable electrician could assemble them.

Ken

I ordered mine from Manila. The battery is made in the US, the inverter/charger is made in China but from the same factory as the US branded version.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 6/18/2018 at 1:02 PM, AlwaysRt said:

This is a pic of a UPS I 'built' with a standard computer UPS in front. The blue box is a 170 amp hour battery, the grey box is a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger/AVR, the brown box is the UPS I replaced.

The setup runs my 65" TV with soundbar, laptop, wifi router, and 18" floor fan for over 8 hours. I see no reason to mess with the cost, noise, maintenance, and taking the time to decide going outside to setup and start a generator. Low power I'm good, power surge I'm good, no power I'm good... The unit switches to battery power in a few milliseconds - so fast the TV does not even blink. When the power goes out during the day I don't even know it.

If I wanted to power more devices and/or have a longer duration, I would add battery(ies) and solar to keep them charged.

20170809_110838.jpg

Hello, did you buy your inverter and battery in the Philippines? Looking for a decent inverter for a similar load as yours. 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 10/29/2018 at 6:14 PM, jimeve said:

Hello, did you buy your inverter and battery in the Philippines? Looking for a decent inverter for a similar load as yours. 

Found a company in Manila on Facebook. Referred @Dave Hounddriver a couple months ago and they did not reply to him. Plenty of solar companies here on FB to search through. Maybe he will chime in and say where he found his inverter.

• Like 1