Italian sausage - help!

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

I’m moving to the Philippines next month. On my last trip to Manila a few months ago, I searched in vain for what we call “Italian sausage” in America.  It’s a fennel spiced sausage used for pasta, pizza and sub sandwiches.  It’s sold in basically every grocery store in America and tastes pretty much the same no matter where you buy it.

I tried SM, S&R, Rustan’s, The Landmark in Makati, even Santi’s Deli in BGC. I bought a couple different sausages labeled “Italian sausage” but tasted nothing like it.  Has anyone found anything anywhere in the Philippines that has the right taste?  I must have an occasional plate of decent sausage pasta with marinara.  If I have to spend the rest of my life eating that sweet sugar crap that Filipinos call spaghetti I might die. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, PakWaan said:

Santi’s Deli

3 years ago almost all markets used to carry Johnsonville's Italian sausage. Then Whamo they just stopped. Most stores now carry Johnsonville garlic brats, smoked sausage and hot and spicy sausage. I have also tried the so called local made Italian sausage. The best I have found so far is a Santis deli. And that is still not up to snuff. When making spaghetti and lasagna now I just have to add extra fennel and other spices. Sorry for the bad news lol 

• Love it 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PakWaan said:

I’m moving to the Philippines next month. On my last trip to Manila a few months ago, I searched in vain for what we call “Italian sausage” in America.  It’s a fennel spiced sausage used for pasta, pizza and sub sandwiches.  It’s sold in basically every grocery store in America and tastes pretty much the same no matter where you buy it.

I tried SM, S&R, Rustan’s, The Landmark in Makati, even Santi’s Deli in BGC. I bought a couple different sausages labeled “Italian sausage” but tasted nothing like it.  Has anyone found anything anywhere in the Philippines that has the right taste?  I must have an occasional plate of decent sausage pasta with marinara.  If I have to spend the rest of my life eating that sweet sugar crap that Filipinos call spaghetti I might die. ;)

Fennel Seeds are available everywhere in the PI so no worry.

You'll find that if you want it in the PI and can't find it then do it on your own. I love Thai Food, took the wife to Thailand several times, taught the wife how to cook it. She now loves it. I grow Basil, Mint & other spices. 

I learned how to make sausages using a sausage stuffer machine and you may have to do the same.

Some options are where ever you settle, learn an Italian sausage recipe from YouTube,   provide a local butcher/ sausage maker in your area like Monterey a recipe and they will make the sausages for you or teach your lady to make it. 

Making sausages in the PI is easy and the various casings and machines are available.

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Making sausages

you mean WORK :shock_40_anim_gif:???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Most stores now carry Johnsonville garlic brats, smoked sausage and hot and spicy sausage.

I have not seen any Johnsonville in any stores in Subic recently and I think I only found them at Puregold Duty Free once.

I bought the Hot and Spicy at S&R a few weeks ago and I like them to put in pasta sauce.

• Love it 1

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

I have a meat grinder and a sausage stuffer as well as several recipes for Italian sausage, none of which are perfect yet.  I was just hoping to be able to buy them readymade, it’s a lot easier than making them.

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, PakWaan said:

I have a meat grinder and a sausage stuffer as well as several recipes for Italian sausage, none of which are perfect yet.  I was just hoping to be able to buy them readymade, it’s a lot easier than making them.

It's really going to depend on where you chose to live. Longanisa Sausage is available everywhere. There are typically some type of  meat specialty shops where many Expats reside similar to Brettos in Balibago.

Some Expats where I live including me load a cooler or 2 and do trips to Dau, S&R Angeles City or S&R SF, Pampanga, then store items in a frezer. You may have to do similar if you cant find them where you choose to live.

Google Italian Sausage for sale Philippines or for the location where you plan on living.

https://www.spot.ph/eatdrink/the-latest-eat-drink/71271/10-places-to-get-gourmet-sausage-in-manila-a1808-20170830-lfrm2 

• Love it 1

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

I have a full size freezer here that I always keep full of special purchases, meat on sale, etc.  Will probably do the same there. I plan to live in Subic, so trips to Angeles and Manila to buy in bulk is no problem. I need my American bacon too. ;)

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2018 at 7:08 PM, PakWaan said:

PakWaan,

I just finished my monthly Angeles City Bar Hopping/S&R supply run. I bought Italian Sausages while there at S&R Mabalacat, 459p for 12.

Ingredients list spices. If Fennel seeds are not inside I'm going to shove some Fennel Seeds through the casings of a few and see how they taste. S&R had many other Sausage types as well. One entire cooler was full of sausages, each row was a separate type. 

I'll let you know if Fennel Seeds were inside & how they taste.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

• Love it 1

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

Cool!  Thanks!  Looking forward to the results of your taste test.