PLDT FIBRE ANYONE GOT ANYTHING TO SAY ON THIS .

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

PLDT have been running fibre cable along my road and the surrounding area, im already on their

Home dsl 1299 plan up to 3mbs, average speed 2.50 mbs is anyone here already using PLDT Fibre and if so is it any good and do you get the quoted speed ? 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

is anyone here already using PLDT Fibre

@jimeve Just got it hooked up and said their modem is not good for any distance, nor for going through walls.  It is suspected they are trying to avoid having 2 neighbours share one connection.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can you bridge the modem and run a cable into another better quality router or is the firmware too locked down to enable bridge mode?

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Upgraded from PLDT DSL to PLDT Fiber 2899 last month. They have Bundle offers but we stuck to the Fiber Only. The TV offer required I add CAT 5.

Fiber Modem & Installation was free. I had to pay on the side extra for them to go in the ceiling. It's definitely worth it. Smart TVs now load at warp speed, XBOX games are now 3 bars, internet is faster. I use VPN & it's noticeably faster.  

Forgot to add. The Fiber Modem wifi is 5g & 2.4g

My 55" Samsung and another newer smart TVs,  and the wifes IPhone receive 5g,  my older devices 2.4g 

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Can you bridge the modem and run a cable into another better quality router or is the firmware too locked down to enable bridge mode?

I researched for technical data etc. PLDT Fiber is new & I think it's too soon to get good inf from others. So far I'm pleased with the new Fiber Modem. It's 5g and 2.4g so If you have newer devices, no need for another better quality router. 

Edited by Rooster

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Just got it hooked up and said their modem is not good for any distance, nor for going through walls.  It is suspected they are trying to avoid having 2 neighbours share one connection.

If there are concrete walls involved, even the best wireless routers will have issues.  Remember when I got Fibr I also had the same issue.  The supplied wireless router is ok for 20-40 ft through the walls but does not reach our master bedroom.

My solution was to find a powerline adapter that extends the wireless into the MB.  Works great!  Like these:

https://www.cnet.com/news/top-five-power-line-adapters-when-wi-fi-fails-you/

40 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I don't think there would be any issue to hook up a Cat 5 network cable to another wireless router.  I used to do that with my Globe modem/router because my personal wireless router worked a lot better.  However, if you are try to get through a concrete wall(s) you are going to need to have a long cat 5 and get the additional router on the other side of the wall.

2 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Home dsl 1299 plan up to 3mbs, average speed 2.50 mbs is anyone here already using PLDT Fibre and if so is it any good and do you get the quoted speed ? 

I'm surprised to see they are offering Fibr for such low speeds.  That is the same as DSL.  Maybe they are trying to consolidate all internet onto the Fibr network and just throttling it down to offer low prices competitive to DSL.

I have had PLDT Subictel Fibr here in Subic Bay for around 2 years and overall am very satisfied.  We don't have the same plans as the PLDT published plans.  I pay p3500 for 50 mbps and 100+ Cignal TV channels, with about 15 or so HD channels.  In 2 years I have only had to call them about speed a few times and they fixed it right away.  It has been slowing a bit but still always getting the promised 60% of 50 mbps, 30 mbps.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm surprised to see they are offering Fibr for such low speeds.  That is the same as DSL.  Maybe they are trying to consolidate all internet onto the Fibr network and just throttling it down to offer low prices competitive to DSL.

I think it read that is his current account with them and now looking at changing to fiber.  :thumbsup:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think it read that is his current account with them and now looking at changing to fiber.  :thumbsup:

You may be right and I misread it, but I had looked at the PLDT Fibr website and they do have a 3 mbps plan for 1299.

https://pldthome.com/fibr?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pLZBRCxARIsALaaY9Yh_b0z85rZBzlppJ68Qa31UGhMNWH-Dz9PRVWIoOaohZf6NZ37sVsaAot1EALw_wcB

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You may be right and I misread it, but I had looked at the PLDT Fibr website and they do have a 3 mbps plan for 1299.

https://pldthome.com/fibr?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pLZBRCxARIsALaaY9Yh_b0z85rZBzlppJ68Qa31UGhMNWH-Dz9PRVWIoOaohZf6NZ37sVsaAot1EALw_wcB

Maybe you were correct in the first place. Not sure I would bother with a low plan for fiber. I get 8mb here on cable so 3mb dont sound good to me. 

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys for the info used to have Fibre back in the UK with Virgin media

And that was back in 2001 ! But watching the Pldt contractors running the cables 

And tying them to the power lines made me smile, think we may go for the 20mbs at 1899

Thanks again guys

• Like 1