PLDT FIBRE ANYONE GOT ANYTHING TO SAY ON THIS .

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rooster said:

I researched for technical data etc. PLDT Fiber is new & I think it's too soon to get good inf from others. So far I'm pleased with the new Fiber Modem. It's 5g and 2.4g so If you have newer devices, no need for another better quality router. 

"Unlike "3G" and "4G" in the mobile phone world which refer to "third generation" and "fourth generation" mobile phone technology, the "2.4G" and "5G" numbers in Wi-Fi are radio frequency bands. 2.4G is short for the 2.4GHz band, and 5G is short for the 5GHz band. In a nutshell, the 2.4GHz band gives you longer range, whereas the 5GHz band offers more channels that are less likely to be polluted with interference (but shorter range)". 

Hey guys,
Although my experience in telecommunications was way back in the late 90's (3rd generation) as a senior test tech at Qualcomm/Ericsson manufacturing facilities in San Diego, CA, I had to google the latest methods regarding residential use of wireless technology.  So I cheated and copied and paste the above quotations for my benefit as well as yours.  

The other end of your modem-router device is your network adapter card in your desktop or laptop computer.  Or for some of you folks, your smart TV's adapter card.  Are they updated with the latest firmware for speed and security?  Go to you PC control panel -- device manager -- select network adapter card and check for latest version.  

Personally, I would go with the hardwired connection.  CAT5 or CAT6 greatly reduces the possibility of "eavesdropping", it's a direct connection with minimum latency but of course the disadvantage is physical location and distance issues, like to your bedroom.  As far as laying out your living room furniture, I guess you need to plan where to place the desktop table that is within the maximum length of CAT5 is allowed before signal degradation.  And guess what, the maximum length is up to 100 meters (328 feet)!  Yeah, I had to google that too.  (gee, I'm so smart....he, he).  Anyway, check this out: Amazon is selling a CAT6 50' flat cable for less than 10 bucks.
Cat 6 cable.PNG 

Now that I'm thinking about it, my primary consideration for my desktop's location would be away from the extended family when they come over, often times unannounced.  Just like when they make a beeline straight to your refrigerator, my desktop will be in my bedroom instead.....he, he.  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you Jake. I need to have a look at all the stuff connected to our system. 

Will look into what is available at my folks place above Talisay Cebu. Both speed and security.

Edited by Old55
Edit; deleted off topic US internet stuff.
  • Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

We have had the PLDT fibre package at 2899php/month for about a year now. Generally we are satisfied with it but have two issues with it. The first is quite often the speed drops dramatically in the evening to less than 1mbps. PLDT have sent engineers to find out why but have been unable to cure the problem. 

The other issue is the modem itself. It only has one usable port to plug in a computer or other device such as a media hub. The other three ports are specific to Cignal, CCTV and a PLDT business only connection. We have found the range of the wifi quite limited so would like to be able to plug in more than one device.

PLDT have been very unhelpful in dealing with these specific issues. 

Hopefully the prospect of some overseas competition might improve things.

Ken

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Ken

Well don`t hold your breath,Has anybody tried a signal booster? My friend has one and his signal has improved a great deal.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Thanks guys for the info used to have Fibre back in the UK with Virgin media

And that was back in 2001 ! But watching the Pldt contractors running the cables 

And tying them to the power lines made me smile, think we may go for the 20mbs at 1899

Thanks again guys

This is the plan I will get when we move and if we need more I will upgrade.Davewe has PLTD fibre and says it is very good.

roddavis
Posted
Posted

We have had the PLDT fibre package at 2899php/month for about a year now. Generally we are satisfied with it but have two issues with it. The first is quite often the speed drops dramatically in the evening to less than 1mbps. PLDT have sent engineers to find out why but have been unable to cure the problem. 

The other issue is the modem itself. It only has one usable port to plug in a computer or other device such as a media hub. The other three ports are specific to Cignal, CCTV and a PLDT business only connection. We have found the range of the wifi quite limited so would like to be able to plug in more than one device.

Ken

We have also had for the past year and half the 50MB option for P2899. We have 2 other computers in the house that needed cat5 hookup. Wifi/modem/router in Master bedroom, so out the router cat5 to a 5 port switch, then connect the 3 desktops cat5 to 3 ports on 5 port switch. Run cat5 lines above ceiling into the other bedroom on the other side of house for sons xbox/ps4/desktop. Now everyone connected. The 5 port 10/100 switch is very inexpensive,

As far as the PLDT services. Haven't noticed any slow connections. When I need speed it is there. Now as far as customer services. very slow, sometimes do not respond to requests. When the service is running, great. But when there is an outage(usually mainline down to accidental cutting of trunk further upline in town due to road construction). PLDT can take 3-5 days to repair. In the last year we have had @6 major service interruptions that take a day or more to repair and @5 minor outages of 3to8 hours to repair.:waiting_80_anim_gif:

robert k
Posted
Posted

Ken

PLDT allotted bandwidth for the day used up. Check at midnight to see if it's "fixed". I don't mean they are limiting you, I mean they are limiting everyone so they don't have to buy more bandwidth.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Before I switched from DSL to Fiber, I found 2 videos on PLDT Fiber Installation that I used to get an idea how it would be installed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T6X7PveR0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daApWiJ7guM&pbjreload=10

For my installation, I had them run the Fiber in my ceiling to a drop point through the ceiling then mounted on the wall. I had to give some snack money for them to go in the ceiling because they said PLDT policy is not allowed in ceiling.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Before I switched from DSL to Fiber, I found 2 videos on PLDT Fiber Installation that I used to get an idea how it would be installed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T6X7PveR0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daApWiJ7guM&pbjreload=10

For my installation, I had them run the Fiber in my ceiling to a drop point through the ceiling then mounted on the wall. I had to give some snack money for them to go in the ceiling because they said PLDT policy is not allowed in ceiling.

Funny, same thing they told me, yet they will do it for "snack money".  Most of these installers are sub-contractors.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I had to give some snack money for them to go in the ceiling because they said PLDT policy is not allowed in ceiling.

:huh: Good way to get Snacks :biggrin: Don't understand this as my men have to go into the ceiling space as this is where my Supplier box and relay junction is but there are crews and there are crews of course + I am on Antenna so they even have to go on the Roof.:ohmy: