Jump to content
KurtVD

ATM limit 10k per withdrawal?? Alternatives?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

I am interested to know if Jacks table of limits is a daily one or per atm withdrawal?

As I understand it that is a withdrawal to a Maximum of 50k per day (as set by Bank central)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will not trust a Philippines bank to handle my money and am happy to leave my money in Australia and pay fees. I use online banking to keep up to date with my money from where ever I am in the world. So my info is all about Australian ATM cards. 

Being card dependent explains to me why I got P20,000 in a single withdrawal last time I withdrew from BPI while others say they can only get P10,000 at a time.

Has anyone ever got P50,000 in a single withdrawal from HSBC? I thought a withdrawal was limited to the amount of notes the machine could deliver. Which has traditionally been 40 notes at a time from the canister that holds the cash. Meaning for HSBC, they can only deliver 40 x P1000 notes for a maximum withdrawal of P40,000 at a time.  Certainly, my last withdrawal, the maximum amount in a single withdrawal was P40,000.

Regardless, HSBC has the best ATM machines in the Philippines. Unfortunately they are only in Manila, Cebu and Davao. The machines accept CIRRUS, PLUS, MASTERCARD, VISA and maybe some other systems. HSBC do not charge an additional fee like all other banks ATM machines in the Philippines. At least they do not charge me. However, for many years there has been a message at the start of the transaction saying there may be a fee and I have to press a button to agree before I can continue.

I have personally withdrawn P240,000 over 2 days, P40,000 at a time, from HSBC in Cebu City when I wanted to buy a car years ago. But I have the cards and daily limits that allow that to happen.

For the person who now has a usd $5000 daily withdrawal limit, they should be able to continuously withdraw until they have reached P260,000 or so in a day. 

If you have online banking with your card, check to see if you can raise the daily withdrawal limit your self. I can, using my online banking. 

I agree that you should tell your bank back home that you will be using the card in the Philippines, so they don't block it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

For the person who now has a usd $5000 daily withdrawal limit, they should be able to continuously withdraw until they have reached P260,000 or so in a day. 

If you have online banking with your card, check to see if you can raise the daily withdrawal limit your self. I can, using my online banking. 

I agree that you should tell your bank back home that you will be using the card in the Philippines, so they don't block it.

 

Interesting... I have a $5000 Aud daily withdrawl (at a branch in Australia) or online transfer limit to another bank account or for use with POLI for World remit or via my VISA debit card (which is linked to the account) for Western Union on both of my Australian bank accounts (with 2 different  banks) but the card has an ATM withdrawl daily limit of $1000 AU which I'm told is a limit that can not be changed?   

 

I confess I've never tried to withdraw that much in a day, I've only ever withdrawn 10,000 but maybe the daily card limit doesn't apply in the Philippines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pull p20,000 out at BPI (using a USAA card) twice a month.  Any BPI machine in town, no problem.  And, good for me, USAA refunds the crazy ATM fees (up to $15 a month per account). On my local BPI card they only allow p10,000 per x-action, but with no fee that is no problem.   :tiphat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

 

Interesting... I have a $5000 Aud daily withdrawl (at a branch in Australia) or online transfer limit to another bank account or for use with POLI for World remit or via my VISA debit card (which is linked to the account) for Western Union on both of my Australian bank accounts (with 2 different  banks) but the card has an ATM withdrawl daily limit of $1000 AU which I'm told is a limit that can not be changed?   

 

I confess I've never tried to withdraw that much in a day, I've only ever withdrawn 10,000 but maybe the daily card limit doesn't apply in the Philippines?

I have been withdrawing money with multiple different cards in the Philippines since last century. I have been withdrawing P40,000 at a time from HSBC since at least 2005.

My experience has been that my daily withdrawal limit applies worldwide.

My main card now is a CBA Keycard. Standard daily withdrawal limit is aud $800. Online you can change to aud $2000 by yourself. In round figures P80,000 a day. That is more than enough for me!

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried again, here’s the results: BPI had a choice of withdrawals on the touchscreen, the largest was 10k, so I took that. I don’t remember if there was an option to manually enter another (higher) amount, but after yesterday’s experience, I wouldn’t have tried that anyway. After that I went to BDO, and they gave me nothing, something about my card not being accepted (even though it does have the chip). After that I went to a third ATM (Philtrust Bank / Bancnet) where I got another 10k. I guess I could have gotten more, but I don’t want my card blocked, so I’ll wait until tomorrow. Strange....I’m still nowhere near my limit, in fact so far, this was all “my” money, that I had deposited on my CC account. 

Absolutely no idea why BDO wouldn’t give me anything at all....it’s a regular VISA card, a few months old, with the chip in it and issued from a Swiss bank. I’ve had it for over 20 years, and sure, occasionally an ATM has refused to accept it, but one of the bigger banks in a country, at different ATMs? I think that’s a first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

My main card now is a CBA Keycard. Standard daily withdrawal limit is aud $800. Online you can change to aud $2000 by yourself.

The guy is from Switzerland . We dont know what his banking rules are.  :89:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The guy is from Switzerland . We dont know what his banking rules are.  :89:

The card’s credit limit is 4000, but I can only get 40% of that in cash. Other than that, I’m not aware of any limitations, I should be able to withdraw these 1600 in one go, if need be. The maximum I’ve ever withdrawn was a 1000, in Switzerland, and that wasn’t at the card-issuing bank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KurtVD said:

The card’s credit

I just had a thought. Does anyone use travelers checks anymore??? I remember Mom and Dad carrying around lots of them when we went on long trips. If memory serves they are insured and all that. Could that be a possible solution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KurtVD said:

I just tried again, here’s the results: BPI had a choice of withdrawals on the touchscreen, the largest was 10k, so I took that. I don’t remember if there was an option to manually enter another (higher) amount,

Next time, look to the right and you will see "select other amount"  option, another screen will appear then enter 20,000

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...