Need help with Info on Certificate of Legal Capcity

bahmed02
Posted
Posted

I am a divorced British, planning to get married to a filipina in Cebu, Philippines, in August (God willing). I understand I need a Certificate of Legal Capacity from Philippines Embassy in London, UK, to get married. Can't contact the Philippines embassy as they don't reply to e-mails & nobody  answers the phone! I live in the north, so unless its an emergency didn't want to travel to London just for that. Any kind soul here with information what are the requiements to obtain the said Certificate from the Philippines Embassy. Very grateful for the information. Thank you

bahmed02
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Thanks for your kind help, mate. I am still confused whether the  Certificate of of Legal Capacity is to be issued by the Philippines Embassy in London or British Embassy in Manila/Cebu. Please help to clarify.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Just now, bahmed02 said:

Thanks for your kind help, mate. I am still confused whether the  Certificate of of Legal Capacity is to be issued by the Philippines Embassy in London or British Embassy in Manila/Cebu. Please help to clarify.

From Australian experience which I know is not your question it comes from like births, marriages , deaths department but it wont be the Philippines embassy either way.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, bahmed02 said:

planning to get married to a filipina in Cebu

1 minute ago, bahmed02 said:

I am still confused whether the  Certificate of of Legal Capacity is to be issued by the Philippines Embassy in London or British Embassy in Manila/Cebu. Please help to clarify.

Since you are getting married in Cebu, the municipal authority in the town/city you will get married in will give you a list of requirements.  One of those is to get the Legal Capacity from the British Embassy in Philippines (provided you were married/widowed/divorced in Britain).  Each country has a different set of rules to follow and I do not know Britain's rules.  Canada got stupidly strict on me when I tried.  They demanded my fiance be present and provide ID and swear that she really wanted to marry me (no BS).  Your mileage will vary.

bahmed02
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the help & guidance. Really appreciate the response. Does anybody  know if there is any British Consular office in Cebu, which may be able to issue Certificate of legal Capacity. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Looks like I was wrong or things changed or just getting confused in my old age.

If you are a British Citizen and wish to marry in the Philippines, the local authorities require that you produce a document from this Embassy/Consulate to the effect that you are free to marry. The document produced by the Embassy/Consulate is a local Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) acceptable to the Philippine authorities.

This can be done within 24 hours of your application if you can produce a CNI issued by your Registrar of Marriages in the United Kingdom. (The Registrar in the UK will require you to appear personally before him and your Notice of Marriage will have to be posted on his notice board for 22 days before he can issue a CNI). Please note that a CNI issued in Scotland should be presented to this Embassy within 3 months of it being issued.

bahmed02
Posted
Posted

Thanks for info, bro. The fact is that I am divorced now, with Decree Nisi & Absolute.  Does that help  in getting that Certificate of Legal Capacity.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, bahmed02 said:

The fact is that I am divorced now, with Decree Nisi & Absolute.  Does that help  in getting that Certificate of Legal Capacity.

@sonjack2847

@Jack Peterson

The above are two of our British members who were married in Philippines.  I have tagged them so that they will notice and hopefully shed light on what Her Majesty will do for you.  Other members may also chime in so check back often to see who has some practical experience in this.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, bahmed02 said:

Does anybody  know if there is any British Consular office in Cebu

Well they say they do but whether they do at this time I dont know but someone will.

https://www.british-consulate.net/uk/United-Kingdom-Consular-Assistance-Cebu-City