Throwaway Ticket - Do I need one??

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

By the way, if you want to thank me, you can use Salamat without the PO, as PO is a term peculiar to Tagalog speakers in the North.  

Don't want to go off topic but my GF laughed at what you said. Yes its Tagalog but she said its used everywhere. Today her cousin from Leyte addressed me with PO ? But I have no idea.

po.jpg

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

However, some people have reported issues with their airline. If your ticket return date is beyond 30 days and you don't have a visa, some check in staff will not want to board you. If this happens, ask to see a supervisor. 

I have experienced this less than lovely moment twice. I think the problem was you are dealing with inexperienced new hires at the low prestige job of check in. As soon as someone who looks like they have graduated from check in arrives, the problem disappears.

This trip I learned something else. Don't bother to wait in an automated check in line. My passport is beat up enough that the machine can't reliably read it. I will go directly where they send people when there is a problem. That line was long too, but better than waiting in two lines.

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Don't want to go off topic but my GF laughed at what you said. Yes its Tagalog but she said its used everywhere. Today her cousin from Leyte addressed me with PO ? But I have no idea.

po.jpg

You make it sound like it is in every day use! Let me assure you that no one I know uses PO on leyte although my girlfriend who lived in manila for many years will use it in conversation with people in manila. I have had conversations with Filipinos about Bisaya speakers using tagalog. They described them as pretentious. Which I translated into Australian as wankers.

• Haha 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bows00 said:

Oh crap.. really?  So I should have purchased a throwaway ticket to avoid this hassle?

I agree with others, no need for a throw away ticket.

Just be aware there might be an issue and be firm about your plans and remind them you are allowed to stay in the Philippines 3 years continuously as a tourist, you can't get a visa in advance that covers the length of your stay and you will be just extending in the Philippines. You might also remind them that it is possible to extend on arrival at some airports. 

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

I have had conversations with Filipinos about Bisaya speakers using tagalog. They described them as pretentious. Which I translated into Australian as wankers.

I did not realise that one dialect or speakers of so was superior.  I could not translate what my GF said about foreigner language experts but I think it might be similar to your translation.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/21/2018 at 7:06 PM, bows00 said:

Oh crap.. really?  So I should have purchased a throwaway ticket to avoid this hassle?

I have never heard of anyone with a round-trip ticket being asked any questions by the airline about exit ticket or 30 days, etc.  Members, have you?

It is a ONE-WAY ticket that triggers inquiries.

• Like 4

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 6/21/2018 at 1:42 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

No, just take a copy of this. And if they still give you a hard time tell them you know you can extend up to 36 months so makes no difference of the departure date.

I did make a copy, just in case.  But I didn't have to use it.  Passed through immigration with no problem.  Thanks everyone.   I am currently in Bonifacio Global City and will be moving on to Dumaguete and Davao.  Whoo hoo!  3 months in the Philippines man!  I love it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

You make it sound like it is in every day use! Let me assure you that no one I know uses PO on leyte although my girlfriend who lived in manila for many years will use it in conversation with people in manila. I have had conversations with Filipinos about Bisaya speakers using tagalog. They described them as pretentious. Which I translated into Australian as wankers.

Po is a sign of respect, My Bisayian wife speaks Tagalog at home because the family live in Bataan where they speak Tagalog. Tagalog speakers think that Bisayan speaking Tagalog do it with a funny accent.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have never heard of anyone with a round-trip ticket being asked any questions by the airline about exit ticket or 30 days, etc.  Members, have you?

Yes happened to me once with Singapore airlines. I just told her the rules in an authoritative manner and her reply was, well you know better than me and that was the end of it. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes happened to me once with Singapore airlines. I just told her the rules in an authoritative manner and her reply was, well you know better than me and that was the end of it. 

Same with me at the AirCanada counter in Vancouver.  But I had a printout of the message from BI just in case.

• Like 1