Notice of a new ruling about burning garbage and leaf material

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

One day you will find its not the expat or the offenders but the establishment who is going to cop the problem for allowing it. Then you will find no one will be sitting there blowing smoke out of there, um mouth.  Times are changing but to believe everything will be the same for ever as some seem to suggest is just in my opinion wrong

Nothing stays the same forever, even opinions.  Give it time and even your opinion may change.  Mine has. I used to believe the authorities every time they came out with the notion of buying a new bridge to somewhere.

One day, I am sure, the establishment will cop the problem for allowing it (smoking in this case), somewhat like certain bars get raided while others maintain the status quo.  That will also surely change one day, although I could not say what day and I feel sure that day will not be in my lifetime.

Now back to burning garbage.  I have faith there is no burning of garbage in IT park and I have faith that the burning of garbage in urban Dumaguete City will meet with penalties.  But the closer one gets to suburban and then rural Philippines the more that rule will be relaxed and/or totally ignored.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I have just returned from Hypermart (Dumaguete) and Low and behold there is burning at the back of the Sans Rival preparation Plant (Besides the veg market, Now guess who owns that land and His car is there. Our own Congressman Sagarbarria, so where does it start and where will it finish. Let's talk about all this in say 2 years and see where things have moved on to. But I think I have had my say soDRAMA and silence.jpg and I tend to think this will be just that. Another Drama

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, TunaT said:

But we can do our share and try to educate out neighbors. Just because laws against speeding are not enforced does not mean we to should speed, and so on.  Run a copy of the no burning law and give it to the offenders. 

Your neighbor's may look at it as you telling them what to do. What size bolo does your back take, the small one or the new and improved half meter one with the bigger sweet spot?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Getting back to Queenie's post :smile:.   My wife and I, through our ministry "Philippines Blessings of Hope", spend much of our time meeting with youth here, mostly middle school and high school.   One subject we have spoken about is the terrible problem of litter here in the Philippines.  My wife is currently doing research and preparing a seminar for youth on the benefits of composting.  She says that when she was young people did a lot of composting and burning was usually only done to keep away mosquitoes.  For those from the USA who have long memories, you may recall this famous video/commercial from back in the 70s.  We show this video to the youth and also a variety of before/after photos that show the progress the USA has made in controlling pollution and litter.   Will our efforts make a difference?  Maybe not, but we feel like we have to try.  The Philippines is such a beautiful country it is a shame to see the effects of litter and pollution.

Iron Eyes Cody was a great Italian! Love that guy.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Nothing stays the same forever, even opinions.  Give it time and even your opinion may change.  Mine has. I used to believe the authorities every time they came out with the notion of buying a new bridge to somewhere.

So you dont read the news about people getting arrested for petty crimes such as no shirt? I ask you 10 years ago would that happen? 

3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Now back to burning garbage.  I have faith there is no burning of garbage in IT park and I have faith that the burning of garbage in urban Dumaguete City will meet with penalties.  But the closer one gets to suburban and then rural Philippines the more that rule will be relaxed and/or totally ignored.

I have already said, depends where one lives, city, province, mountain village.   The problem is the man power and money to enforce laws. 

Let's go back to 2003 where there was a city ordinance smoking ban, same as today's. People got fined  and anywhere in the world a fine is to instill an idea in your head you can not do something.

https://www.philstar.com/metro/2003/06/25/211311/127-smokers-fined-makati

Eventually when enough people are fined or arrested for something the numbers doing so will drop out of fear or learning from generation to generation which brings me to the point that in western countries most law abiding citizens obey the law because of over  the years they learnt that is how civilisation works so are you saying no laws are enforced here or everyone will break every law? 

Just to add, the comment about the IT park. Just because I live here does not mean that if I walk less than 150 meters that I am no longer in the IT park or know whats going on outside the Park.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 6/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, Jack Peterson said:

I have just returned from Hypermart (Dumaguete) and Low and behold there is burning at the back of the Sans Rival preparation Plant

I've been in Dumaguete for the past week.  I keep returning to give this place another chance, but the air quality is way too disgusting.  But I am glad we are headed in the right direction, now only if they extend the Law to include vehicle emissions - I see several emission check shops throughout the city.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bows00 said:

I see several emission check shops throughout the city.  

Yes there are many But one wonders if they do the Job properly, maybe a ticket and a Copy to LTO will prove a success  for failed vehicles :89:

TunaT
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Yeah Charley and you know what they will do with it, Burn it :wink:

Who's Charley ? Is that a generic name you use ?   Is that like Filipino's calling expats Joe ?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, TunaT said:

Who's Charley ?

:hystery: Charlie.jpg You never heard of Charley the Tuna?  

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, TunaT said:

Who's Charley ? Is that a generic name you use ?   Is that like Filipino's calling expats Joe ?

Don't lets play gamesEH all of us in Dumaguete know who you are