Visa options for retirement

two_wires
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'm currently in Thailand with a Non O visa based on being in receipt of a British state pension. Is there anything similar for the Philippines? If not, what are my visa options.

Thank you

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Two. 

Simply put, if you are not married to a Filipina there are two basic visa options for you. Tourist visa, and SSRV retirement visa. There are many topics about them in the Visa section. I encourage you to browse through them and if you have some specific questions we will try to help. :5769:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa/special-resident-retirees-visa-srrv

Who may apply for Special Retiree's Resident Visa (SRRV)?

A retiree who applies for a Special Resident Retiree Visa (SRRV) has the option to enroll to the program based from his retirement status.

Retirement Option and their Required Time Deposit

1. With Pension - 50 years old and above - the required time deposit is US$10,000.00 plus a monthly pension of US$800.00 for a single applicant and US$1,000 for couple.

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

There's a third. Quota Visa. Not commonly talked about. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, topcat72m said:

There's a third. Quota Visa. Not commonly talked about. 

That's because most think its just not worth the trouble for retirees.  Great for younger folk though.

two_wires
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your replies. I've already read up on the tourist visa. It looks a bit daunting but I guess once you get into it's not to bad? Is it practical for a long term stay? Thailand is clamping down on tourist visas. If I marry a Filipina, what changes apart from the 12 month thing they give at the airport?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, two_wires said:

I've already read up on the tourist visa. It looks a bit daunting but I guess once you get into it's not to bad? Is it practical for a long term stay? Thailand is clamping down on tourist visas. If I marry a Filipina, what changes apart from the 12 month thing they give at the airport?

So far the tourist visa is a practical option for a long term stay.  That could change at the whim of the government but does not appear to be in the works at this time.

Marrying a filipina gives you the 13a option - Married Visa

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, two_wires said:

Thanks for your replies. I've already read up on the tourist visa. It looks a bit daunting but I guess once you get into it's not to bad? Is it practical for a long term stay? Thailand is clamping down on tourist visas. If I marry a Filipina, what changes apart from the 12 month thing they give at the airport?

One of the big reasons I picked the PIs was the simplicity of their tourist visa - and it has gotten better in the 5 years I have been here.  You get 30 days on entry, and can extend it up to 36 months before you have to leave (used to be 21 days and 24 months).  The first extension is another month (slightly less). Then you can do 1, 2, or 6 month extensions until you hit 36 months. Leave the country for a nice getaway, come back and start your 3 years again.  There is also an ACR card, but it is easy, and not too terribly expensive.  My first year I tracked all the visa fees and spent p26,000 total for the year.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, two_wires said:

I've already read up on the tourist visa. It looks a bit daunting but I guess once you get into it's not to bad?

The hardest part of the tourist Visa is getting up and going to the BI office. Nothing daunting about it at all and you can extend up to 36 months. Take a minimum 1 day vacation out of the country and come back for another 36 months.

Marry a Filipina and you add 12 month free Balikbayan Visa Waiver. Have to enter the country together and exit within a year or convert to a tourist visa after a year. The 36 month max rule still applies. OR you can go the permanent resident spouse visa route.

If you are a military veteran the SRRV deposit drops to 1,500usd.