Grab or Taxi?

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

So far, I’ve only needed taxi services in metropolitan Manila, and I’ve noticed that it’s not unlike Bangkok: while there are quite a few taxis around, it can be a bit of a hassle. Instead of spontaneously switching the meter on, they will offer to bring you there for double or triple the regular price, hoping you don’t know what it would cost normally, and trying to make you believe that it’s in reality a bargain. I don’t really like Grab, Uber, Airbnb and the like, but with the Grab app, the price is set in the app, and you don’t have to worry about things like that. Are you guys using Grab or regular taxis? Or do you all have your own cars or motorbikes, and no need for it? 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have the Avanza, then there is the Mio and then papa Paterno owns his own taxi and franchise (and if we visit family in Ozamiz they own a motocab) so that's what the family use and Grab and Uber haven't gotten to CDO yet so we don't face that choice there.  If OTOH I'm in Manila or Cebu then my default choice is a taxi.

Taxi 2 edit.jpg

Motocab edit.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, KurtVD said:

Are you guys using Grab or regular taxis?

Here in Metro I usually drive. But when we do take taxis it depends. We live in an area where taxis drive by but hailing one is hit or miss, so we use Grab. At most malls, Govt buildings (immigration and the like) hotels and such, taxis are usually available and we just get one at the taxi stand

robert k
Posted
Posted

I drive. Even metro Manila isn't that bad really outside of traffic jams and outdated GPS turn by turn directions.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

and outdated GPS turn by turn directions.

:hystery: Sorry Robert can I digress here a Little, I have given up on GPS here in our Area especially when I try it in the City only to find that my GPS has told me to turn into a road and a Little man (TMO) has been and put up a 6am to 8pm no entry sign up :whistling:

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Grab was great in Cebu City for me. Taxi for return trips.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We tend towards grab when we are in Manila now a days.

• 1 month later...
virginprune
Posted
Posted

I've used Grab in Manila recently and was impressed by their service and prices.....this is high praise from a retired cab driver...:shades:

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Grab works well for me in Cebu City.

Ryan.
Posted
Posted

Grab while it lasts. An example of progress. So much is stuck in 1975. Uber fled. Grab is under various pressures. 

• Like 1