U.S. Life insurance living in the Philippines?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Life insurance pops up in my mind occasionally and with a recent, seemingly increased, amount of injuries, deaths, and meeting a couple Filipina widows lately it is on my mind again. 

Can you get US life insurance while in the Philippines? If I'm gonna go through the hassle of getting it, might as well get it for both of us I suppose. Accidents aren't limited to foreigners only. So I would be looking to insure a US citizen and Filipina wife (never been to the US yet).

I know insurance is available in the Philippines but trust US regulated companies more than local ones.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Life insurance pops up in my mind occasionally and with a recent, seemingly increased, amount of injuries, deaths, and meeting a couple Filipina widows lately it is on my mind again. 

Can you get US life insurance while in the Philippines? If I'm gonna go through the hassle of getting it, might as well get it for both of us I suppose. Accidents aren't limited to foreigners only. So I would be looking to insure a US citizen and Filipina wife (never been to the US yet).

I know insurance is available in the Philippines but trust US regulated companies more than local ones.

I checked into this while I was in the states last year. I discovered that the only way they would write the policy is if I was physically in the states. Some stated that you had to live in the states for at least 6 months of the year, some for the majority of the year unless you were on vacation. Some said if they found out I lived out of country for the majority of the year then they would not pay out. I was told they did have cases where the policy holder died outside of the states, but the payout to the beneficiary could take up to 2 years. I didn't stay long enough to write any policies but I may the next time. 

A suggestion is put skype on your cell, load $10 and make free toll free calls from here to Insurance companies and ask the questions about out of country (U.S) death. Skype won't charge for the calls.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I checked into this while I was in the states last year. I discovered that the only way they would write the policy is if I was physically in the states. Some stated that you had to live in the states for at least 6 months of the year, some for the majority of the year unless you were on vacation. Some said if they found out I lived out of country for the majority of the year then they would not pay out. I was told they did have cases where the policy holder died outside of the states, but the payout to the beneficiary could take up to 2 years. I didn't stay long enough to write any policies but I may the next time. 

A suggestion is put skype on your cell, load $10 and make free toll free calls from here to Insurance companies and ask the questions about out of country (U.S) death. Skype won't charge for the calls.

Thanks, I was hoping others had already researched it so I could bypass a bunch of calls having to ask the same questions and explain my situation over and over. What you discovered I suspected but being out of date with the topic I thought I would ask. 

I use the free app Google Hangouts Dialer to call the US for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Thanks, I was hoping others had already researched it so I could bypass a bunch of calls having to ask the same questions and explain my situation over and over. What you discovered I suspected but being out of date with the topic I thought I would ask. 

I use the free app Google Hangouts Dialer to call the US for free.

Your post was concerning a US policy. Philippine Retirement Authority suggested  this company for Expats https://www.manulife.com.ph/Personal-Protection

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Your post was concerning a US policy. Philippine Retirement Authority suggested  this company for Expats https://www.manulife.com.ph/Personal-Protection

Thanks, I was on that site a couple days ago looking for information. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I know that this is primarily about US insurance but will add that when I took out a UK Policy for my Wife and I ( 2008) the minute they found out I had retired to the Philippines they rescinded My Policy although they did reimburse the 8 months premiums/contributions left on that year 2012. Seems in my case, you have to live in the Country that pertains to the Policy :mellow:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Might be best to google Expat Insurance. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Billoncho
Posted
Posted (edited)

My buddy at work used to work in finance in Australia and he just got this exPat insurance. He said selecting US $350,000 is hassle free. 
https://www.regencyforexpats.com/LifeInsurance/index

Found some reviews here: https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-reviews/store/regency-for-expats/1

Edited by Billoncho
  • Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Pulled it up. The life insurance info input window

1 hour ago, Billoncho said:

My buddy at work used to work in finance in Australia and he just got this exPat insurance. He said selecting US $350,000 is hassle free. 
https://www.regencyforexpats.com/LifeInsurance/index

Found some reviews here: https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-reviews/store/regency-for-expats/1

for age doesn't go beyond 65.  FYI

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Billoncho said:

My buddy at work used to work in finance in Australia and he just got this exPat insurance.

:unsure: Before anyone takes up Foreign Insurances, you should really make sure that it will be acceptable by any Hospital in your Area, I have a friend that had what he thought was a great Insurance But  when admitted to Hospital in Dumaguete, SUMC would not Honour it 

Just a thought before anyone spends 0000's on Insurance that is basically useless sometimes, We know where we are :wink:

• Like 1