Building a appartment

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Imagine a Filipina moving to the UK and subsequently the relationship breaks up - how much security does she really have? 

If the Filipina is married to a UK citizen and living in the UK for 2 to 4 years (depending on the circumstances) then she gets permanent residency in the event of a break-up.  If a UK citizen is married to a Filipina and living in Philippines for the same length of time, then he gets to go back on tourist status in the event of a breakup.  

So yes, its different in other countries.  But we all love it here so we take what we can get :cornflakes:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Its all a learning curve and i am sure we all have been caught out by something we did not realize that was happening, the problem then lies if you let it happen again and again .

How true and that is why we are telling you about things so that maybe you can learn a little from OUR mistakes & keep yours to a minimum :huh:

• Like 1

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

i just read 4 pages of " RECIPE FOR DISASTER"....     IMO.. if youre now out of the country with your loving wife, then you have all you need for a happy life away from the filipins. Spain could be a nice choice. 

my point is did you marry your wife with intentions of also marrying her family? do you have a great need to be the savior of the less fortunate? do you thrive on being stabbed in the back in return for your kindness?

of course you answered no to these questions. 

volumes have been written specifically on this subject and none of them is too flattering to these types of families..  EVERYONE HERE IS WAVING RED FLAGS AT YOU. 

with your loving wife you have the world by tail and a happy life ahead of you away from the stress in the filipins. ENJOY and  GOOD LUCK

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, lobojohn said:

Spain could be a nice choice. 

Years ago i would agree But I spent 20 years in Spain and now it is just not worth it. With Brexit hanging it is unlikely The OP's money will hold out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Years ago i would agree But I spent 20 years in Spain and now it is just not worth it. With Brexit hanging it is unlikely The OP's money will hold out there. 

Rental long term  for 6 months or more, Spain /France and even back to England then to the Philippines , then start all over again, it could be nice to find a bolt hole in France or Spain, not to much cash and it is somewhere for all the family to go too.

But like you say Jack with Brexit looming, better to wait that little longer,i wonder who has a rental place over in the Phils, come on Kev get your place built a little quicker.

• Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

come on Kev get your place built a little quicker.

It`s getting there wait a while sir.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If the Filipina is married to a UK citizen and living in the UK for 2 to 4 years (depending on the circumstances) then she gets permanent residency in the event of a break-up.  If a UK citizen is married to a Filipina and living in Philippines for the same length of time, then he gets to go back on tourist status in the event of a breakup.  

So yes, its different in other countries.  But we all love it here so we take what we can get :cornflakes:

I broadly understand the legal position, I was more referring to the practicality of being in a foreign country without a partner. And, having both the financial means and awareness to fight a messy divorce. The law is one thing, the practicality of living is another.

19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Here is my current experience with building an apartment setup.

My wife's sister has a small lot in Pasay near the airport. She bought rights to it 20 years ago. My mother in law retired a few years ago and spent some of her money on rights to the small lot behind the sisters. When I first saw what was there and the area, lets just say it was not an easy feeling. The taxi driver had the look of fear and uneasiness. This was about 8 years ago.

Two years ago we decided to invest a little in the development of the properties. At first I was apprehensive due to the questionable ownership. Long story short, we now have a 10 room apartment building. Each room rents for 6k with the exception of one going at 4k. He collects the rent from the tenants. He is a relative and has been renting / caretaking the original property for the 20 years. Most of the tenants work at the airport. Sister in law interviews all the new tenants and has a lease agreement they sign.

Now here is the kicker. No one really needs the rental income being generated. So we are depositing the money into a savings account. Once wife and I's initial investment is paid back, we get to split the rental proceeds. Not going to get rich off it but every little bit helps.

About the title and ownership of the lots? Mother in law transferred the rights to my wife, my name is even listed there as well (Of course I know that is just symbolic and has no value there). Last year actual registered titles were awarded by the government for the land. 

I must be an anomaly. But who knows, it all may go south some day.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, FlyAway said:

I must be an anomaly. But who knows, it all may go south some day.

Some Judges here are getting fed up with the scams.I have heard a few stories,which I tend to believe,that they are making sure that foreigners at least get 50% back.Which they are entitled to under law. So maybe things are looking up.

• Like 3