Building a appartment

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Steven - I think you already know the answer to her request.  You now need to figure out the best way to respond.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

The problem is Emma has a 50% say in whatever plans for when you both move to Philippines

That's being generous when it comes to property ownership in Philippines.  The husband may be on the property title, but that's more of a courtesy than a 50% ownership, in my experience.  But the 50% works so long as the wife says its OK :cheersty:

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's being generous when it comes to property ownership in Philippines.  The husband may be on the property title, but that's more of a courtesy than a 50% ownership, in my experience.  But the 50% works so long as the wife says its OK :cheersty:

I'm not sure of the legality of the Property Title, but it surely must have legal standing?  Regardless, like any ownership - if you only own 50% of something, in reality you own nothing.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

it surely must have legal standing? 

Yes, you are correct, it does.

Foreigners cannot own land here but they can own buildings AND in the event of a marital breakup, there is still family court to help divide up the property so there is some legal standing.

I admit I was being a little facetious.  My skepticism is based on Filipinas who sell the property when the husband is out of the country and the courts let the sale stand on the grounds that foreigners cannot own property so the foreigner on the title is a courtesy.  But having your name on the title is as good as your wife's character.  If she is a good one then she will not be looking for legal loopholes to screw you out of your rights.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Foreigners cannot own land here but they can own buildings AND in the event of a marital breakup, there is still family court to help divide up the property so there is some legal standing.

Quite agreed but we also have to look at the background Of This (Sorry Steve But it may be a can of worms for you) here, we are not talking just about a couple we are talking about a family residence where we already know that at least one of the family is less than honest with communications and repaying of loans etc + can (So it sounds) get het up at what is the right of that part of the family, For me and again Steve, sorry if things get personal but................embarrased  man.jpg I would ask, just who's Idea was all this?

1. Yours? (although you say it is a no Go I just wondered)

2. Your Good Lady?

3. The Family ? ( using your good Lady as their instrument) ?

Mate I feel for you, to have yet another Headache that makes you sit and Think too hard about what should be the Countdown time for the Move

Edited by Jack Peterson
a little punctuation if you don't mind
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Old55 said:

So what is your question? The problem is Emma has a 50% say in whatever plans for when you both move to Philippines 🇵🇭

Yes that is right its a 50/50  relationship in all we do, well try to do, sometimes it could be 60/40, but its all about compromise too.

I helped pay for the house so Emma could make her dad happy, and deep down Emma would move in there to clean and cook and do everything that she could do.

But i have plans too, and so do the rest of the family once the house is left to the family members, but that is another story.

• Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Emma would be more then welcome to 100% of everything , where ever we call home, i have found my true partner for life and if the Philippines is to be our future home then the home we shall buy together will be all hers .

• Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

The biggest problem that i have is the land has nothing to do with me, and i did not know that and was not told that when we started the process of knocking down the family home and having it rebuilt for the father and brother to live in and to be comfortable for the rest of there life, but as the building project was split between the three sisters and the cost too who was i to get involved.

But once it started and then the cash was not being put into the pot and the house was knocked down and suddenly a father and a brother had no roof over there heads i had to step in.

At first i was asked through Emma from her sisters to loan them the money so then it seemed that they was inputting there part of the agreement and after saying a big fat NO , one sister decided to blank Emma for months , the other one just buried her head, so after a visit to the building site myself and Emma agreed that we would take over all the cost for the house build and it was agreed that the house would be mine and Emma's as the rest of the family had there own places , this was agreed through the sisters .

Nothing was put in writing and no hand shakes either, but still they tried to change the plans , lets have  a water shop at the front of the place also a flat to rent out too, and that was from the sister who had paid nothing, so again she was told by me this time to go and swing and this time she blanked Emma for over 9 months .

The house was built to what i thought is should be like , its nothing like the plans the sister wanted, she has not gotten her room for when she comes to stay, there is no shop, there is no carport, its just what i thought i could afford and its new and safe for the family.

But what it sits on " the land " the house is worthless, its the land that is worth lots of pesos and that is not mine, but it can be i have been told , we could buy the family members out each of them , again its a big get lost, the land Emma will get 20%  maybe , but i am not holding my breath.

I dont know the law about land and property over in the Philippines all i wanted was to make  my wife happy and that is what i try to do most .It seems the family makes the rules and there own laws and if you are naive you can be burnt very quickly, look at me.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I dont know the law about land and property over in the Philippines all i wanted was to make  my wife happy

And thats where the problems start. Anybody looking at buying land, houses, condos you name it should do research. Its stated so many times on this forum alone that Foreigners cannot own land and our rights are very little here. 

No disrespect to Steve or anyone but it makes me wonder how many really know much about the Philippines, their wife's culture or just how it is whether they live here or have taken their wife to the home country.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Its stated so many times on this forum alone that Foreigners cannot own land and our rights are very little here. 

:thumbsup: A very Good Friend here on the forum summed up in a short chat, WE (the Foreigner) are only as good/safe as the Relationship we have, should that go down the Pan, Well? I am not going to even try disprove that statement

• Like 3
  • Love it 1