Mirror, mirror, on the car.....

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Using my Honda Brio, I took my daughter to school at 11 am, then went to Royal to check something, then went home and parked in our driveway, 30 feet from the street.

When I went out to pick my daughter up at 1:45 pm and get in the car, this is what I see:

mirror.jpg

WTF!  Someone stole my driver side mirror glass!  Or, it fell off???  I retraced my route and did not see a mirror, broken or unbroken, lying around.

It definitely was there when I left the house at 11, because you have to use it intensely to back out of my driveway.  Stolen at my daughter's school?  Unlikely at a 5 minute stop.  Royal?  Maybe, but I only ran inside to check a price, maybe 5-10 minutes again.  It seems unlikely that I would drive home without noticing that it was missing.  So it seems most likely that someone stole it out of my driveway in broad daylight, in full view of the house??  That also seems unlikely, so the heck if I know what happened!  Maybe it did fall off.

For you car guys out there, it appears that the glass mirror part must have a socket on it, and it just snaps onto the ball (covered in white grease) in the middle of the picture.  Is this a typical setup for a low end power mirror?  I'm just wondering if I am missing anything besides the mirror.  I googled and I could not find anything for the Brio.  I found a "how to remove mirror" you tube video for Honda Fit, and it appears to be a different setup.  On that one you have to stick a flat head screw driver in and pop a clip.  On mine, it seems that the ball and socket just pop on/off.  Ideas?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Ideas?

No, but you gave me one.  I have been hesitating about getting my electric remote mirrors fixed as it seems like it will be a big job, but if the mirror pops off that easily then it may be a simple matter of popping it off and checking for broken wires.

It is definitely frustrating but is that an expensive item to replace?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I have come to believe over time that somewhere somehow someone will find anything one has... worth stealing.

Over the years I have had stolen, push bikes, money, cameras, phones, lawn mower, diesel, gasoline, tools, a motorbike side cover (out of the yard) and probably other stuff I've forgotten.

But a car mirror... that's a new one!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

No, but you gave me one.  I have been hesitating about getting my electric remote mirrors fixed as it seems like it will be a big job, but if the mirror pops off that easily then it may be a simple matter of popping it off and checking for broken wires.

It is definitely frustrating but is that an expensive item to replace?

I will have to get it at the dealer and dealer's are rarely cheap.

Look on You Tube.  There are a lot of side mirror replacement videos and I saw some Civics.

12 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

But a car mirror... that's a new one!

Thinking it over, I'm not 100% convinced it was stolen.  I'm asking my Brio club members if they had any issues with the mirrors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

If, and I say if, it we're stolen, it was probably by another Brio owner whose mirror was broken and saw how easy they are to pop off. A career thief would have gotten both of them.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I had to replace the side mirror on my 2002 Chevy Silverado once, and the cost was around $100. It looks like someone decided it was easier to get a new mirror from you than to bother with going to the dealer. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Thinking it over, I'm not 100% convinced it was stolen.

Who stole it or why may be open to question, but it was probably taken.  Kids maybe?  I say that because I had the rubber footpegs stolen off my cheap RUSI a couple of years back and I also wondered "Who does that?"  Perhaps someone was just messing with you.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Who stole it or why may be open to question, but it was probably taken.  Kids maybe?  I say that because I had the rubber footpegs stolen off my cheap RUSI a couple of years back and I also wondered "Who does that?"  Perhaps someone was just messing with you.

I still can't convince myself one way or the other.

Like you, I used to drive large vehicles when I was younger, and in my case (refrigerated delivery truck), the only view to the rear was by using the side mirrors.  After 5 years of that, my habit in any vehicle is to glance at the side mirrors a lot.  This morning, in my SUV, I was doing that and thinking about it.

Thus, if the mirror was stolen at Royal, I would have had to drive all the way home (about 3 km on a windy road) and not noticed that the mirror was missing.  Highly unlikely.

So that means it was stolen in my driveway between 1120 and 1350, in broad daylight, in full visibility of our house and also across from a well used covered bus bench.

I would agree that if it was stolen, it was probably stolen by someone who needed a Brio mirror.  I don't think there are any other Brios in our area.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I would agree that if it was stolen, it was probably stolen by someone who needed a Brio mirror.  I don't think there are any other Brios in our area.

I once had a friend? (In my biking days) that could get most anything cosmetic or easy to reach from a place he called " Carpark accessories" I guess we all had that little bit of Misspent Youth, But I agree with you, if you are used to driving on mirrors you will have certainly missed it very soon after setting off, in Fact, That is my last Thing I do before actually starting to Drive. Mirror check :mellow:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I once had a friend? (In my biking days) that could get most anything cosmetic or easy to reach from a place he called " Carpark accessories" I guess we all had that little bit of Misspent Youth, But I agree with you, if you are used to driving on mirrors you will have certainly missed it very soon after setting off, in Fact, That is my last Thing I do before actually starting to Drive. Mirror check :mellow:

And thinking about it some more, Royal has angled parking spaces and I definitely would have used the mirror backing out of the space.

• Like 2