Canadian shot and killed in Batangas

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Stay safe folks!

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/168119/news-canada-batangas-shooting

Canadian killed, wife hurt in Batangas shooting incident

SAN PEDRO CITY – Gunmen shot and killed a Canadian and wounded his Filipino wife in Batangas City, police said Monday.

According to the police, Barry Gamon, 56, a Canadian retiree, and his wife Luzviminda were outside their garage at Barangay (village) Tinga Itaas when two gunmen approached and shot them at about 8 p.m., Sunday.

They were taken to the United Doctors of St. Camillus Hospital in the city but Barry died while being treated for multiple bullet wounds. Gamon had been living in the Philippines for more than 10 years.

In a phone interview Monday, city police chief Supt. Sancho Celedio said the couple never had any record with the authorities, except for a recent “dispute” over a parking space across the victims’ house.

“That appears, so far, as the only strong possible motive (in the attack) although we are still investigating it,” Celedio said.

He said Luzviminda might have recognized the gunmen, who escaped on foot after the shooting.

Investigators are hoping to get her statement soon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Expats often talk about anti-immigrant attitudes in their home countries.  Those attitudes seem to be coming to Philippines with the ever-increasing numbers of expats.  I mention this after reading the Inquirer link and seeing a Filipino "boy_08" saying "Philippines is for Filipinos only!"  That does not sound sympathetic to the murdered Canadian

Doug B
Posted
Posted (edited)

https://www.philstar.com/nation/2018/06/26/1828070/canadian-shot-dead-wife-hurt-batangas

Did anyone know him? He was 66 yo, his wife was injured...

Edit, Doug I moved your question into this existing topic. I am also curious if there is new information.

Edited by Old55

Doug B
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok thanks, I read he was 66.

Edited by Doug B

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Doug B said:

I read he was 66

I noticed that too.  The original report said he was 56 and the link you posted said he was 66.  Typical Philippine (lack of) fact checking when reporting. The 66-year-old number makes it easier to believe he had been retired in Philippines for 10 years.

• Like 4