arrested

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Midway in the article is states that 130 were placed in a cell that only large enough for six. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/thousands-street-loiterers-arrested-philippines-180628140817233.html

Manila, Philippines - Police have arrested more than 10,000 people for loitering in the streets in the last two weeks, after President Rodrigo Duterte issued a directive to round up “idlers” in order to avoid “potential trouble for the public.”

Most of the arrests have involved men from the metropolis’ most impoverished and densely populated districts, but police have also rounded up women and minors whom they found outdoors during curfew hours.

“What we want to deliver is an atmosphere of safety,” said General Joselito Esquivel, a police chief from Manila’s largest suburban district. “We’re trying to enforce against crimes like [being] half-naked or urinating in public, or drinking in public places such as in the streets.”

Metropolitan Manila had a population of 12.8 million in 2015, with an average of 20,785 people sharing every square kilometre of space.

In slum areas, many people stay outdoors because their shanties are cramped and poorly ventilated. The country’s tropical climate spells sweltering summers and damp monsoons, so men often go about without shirts on their backs, even in public.

These behaviours, often seen in tough neighbourhoods, have come to be associated with street crimes.

Adults are placed in overcrowded jails while minors sign their names on a list of offenders  [JC Gotinga/Al Jazeera] 
Traumatised
The police crackdown has seen suspects accosted into police precincts in droves and crammed into already overcrowded jail cells.

At the main police station of the Novaliches district, as many as 50 “tambay” - the local term for loiterer, derived from the English “standby” - are rounded up every night. Adults are placed in jail while minors sign their names on a list of offenders, and wait until an adult relative collects them.

“What worries us is there are cases of abuse,” said Eule Rico Bonganay of the Salinlahi Alliance for Children’s Concerns, “and these are perpetrated by authorities who are supposedly duty-bound to protect the children.”

Philippine law prohibits jailing minors but in the absence of separate detention facilities for them, they usually end up in the same jail cells as adult detainees.

Rights watchdogs have called for an immediate end to the campaign, calling it “anti-poor”.

“The Philippine National Police are conducting a ‘crime prevention’ campaign that essentially jails low-income Filipinos for being in public,” said Human Rights Watch deputy Asia director Phelim Kine.

“This campaign threatens to retraumatize residents of communities already terrorised by ‘drug war’ executions and is risking the detainees’ health and safety,” Kine added.

WATCH: Philippines' poor targeted in loitering crackdown
“Like dogs in the street”

The case of 25-year-old Genesis Argoncillo, who died while in police detention, has sparked outrage among many Filipinos, and given a face to the campaign against “tambay”.

On June 16, Argoncillo was sitting on a bench in front of a neighbourhood store when police arrested him for not having a shirt on. He was detained with more than 130 other men in a jail cell big enough for only 6 people.

On June 16, Argoncillo’s sister found his body in a morgue, heavily bruised and wounded.

The police first claimed Argoncillo might have died of asphyxiation in the overcrowded cell, and then afterwards presented testimonies from two detainees who said they beat Argoncillo to death during a brawl.

“He was arrested and killed all because he wasn’t wearing a shirt that night,” said Jane Azuelo, Argoncillo’s sister.

She asked, “Was that really a crime?”

Genesis Argoncillo's death while in police detention sparked outrage among many Filipinos  [JC Gotinga/Al Jazeera] 
As public sympathy for Argoncillo poured out, Duterte denied ever ordering the arrests.

“Those sons of bitches were not listening,” he said on June 22. “I never said, ‘arrested.’ But if you are drinking in the alley, in the squatters area and making a living room out of the road there, you’ll really get nabbed.”

He added that he ever said “tambay” was a crime.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Esquivel insisted the campaign did not target mere loiterers. “We go after those who violate ordinances, like being shirtless or drunk or violating curfews,” he said.

The country’s police chief Oscar Albayalde denied misunderstanding the president's orders, but banned the country’s 190,000 police men and women from using the word “tambay”.

However, for the grieving family, it makes no difference what the victim is called.

Lamenting his son Genesis’ fate, Sergio Argoncillo told Al Jazeera ruefully, “So it is possible for an innocent man who has committed no crime to be picked up and killed, like dogs in the streets."

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

The case of 25-year-old Genesis Argoncillo, who died while in police detention, has sparked outrage among many Filipinos, and given a face to the campaign against “tambay”.

On June 16, Argoncillo was sitting on a bench in front of a neighbourhood store when police arrested him for not having a shirt on. He was detained with more than 130 other men in a jail cell big enough for only 6 people.

On June 16, Argoncillo’s sister found his body in a morgue, heavily bruised and wounded.

Ahhh.  That is why there were comments on other threads about being shirtless.  Thank you for the info Mike J

• Jollygoodfellow changed the title to arrested
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ahhh.  That is why there were comments on other threads about being shirtless.  Thank you for the info Mike J

There are quite a lot arrested for that horrendous crime of half naked but no laws are enforced in the Philippines so no need to think about it and nothing ever changes. Anyway got to go burn my rubbish. :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

The ones they should arrest are the guys who hang out with their shirt pulled up over their beer belly :Caught:

• Like 5

Howard
Posted
Posted

I'm wondering if this is being enforced in places like Eastwood that have outdoor cafe's as I haven't been there since this crackdown started.

canadamale
Posted
Posted

A few years back prob 5 or 6 I was walking from Hotel H2O to Mall if Asia. Thus is a fairly long walk. It was hot so as I was walking along I removed my shirt. The street I was on was deserted, except for this trike with 3 police aboard. They pulled up beside me and asked me why I had no shirt on? I replied because it is hot.  One policeman laughed, the other said, quite sternly this is against the law put your shirt on now. I replied thank you po, I did not know. Put on my shirt and slowly started walking away hoping I did not get arrested. Scary to think I could of been in a cell.

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Howard said:

I'm wondering if this is being enforced in places like Eastwood that have outdoor cafe's as I haven't been there since this crackdown started.

I was in Eastwood last week still the same and you can still smoke with a beer

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

you can still smoke with a beer

But do you have to wear a shirt while smoking and drinking?

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Howard
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mick said:

I was in Eastwood last week still the same and you can still smoke with a beer

That's good to hear! 

Mick
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But do you have to wear a shirt while smoking and drinking?

Only me with the belly out..... :7500:

• Like 1