Carpool

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Wow Jack--Thanks! Those are keepers!  My grandparents were real characters, as I'm sure he was! Nice to see these pictures and daydream about all of  them..

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

My great grandfather we were told was a famous wrestler from Stalybridge.

Since it was your great-grandfather there may not be an online record of him as he was probably WW1 era?  But if he was famous in the 1930's you may find him on this site:

http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/stars

Some of the stories on that site make for interesting reading.  My grandfather was a UK boxer and some of his relatives did well for themselves in the ring but apart from a few newspaper clippings that my mother holds, they did not garner Internet fame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah Dave--interesting!  He'snot in the list unfortunately. I remember seeing a  small blurb on a local poster there with his name mentioned, and it gave me shivers.. I was hoping for a photograph but there was none. Other than what my father told us, that was really the first we had ever seen a name referring to him, and could find no other reference since. I guess that local boxing and wrestling too was a big deal back then with many competing for titles. I don't know how much fame my great grandfather had either, but it was a claim to fame on the part of my father and grandfather.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Yeah Dave--interesting!  He'snot in the list unfortunately. I remember seeing a  small blurb on a local poster there with his name mentioned, and it gave me shivers.. I was hoping for a photograph but there was none. Other than what my father told us, that was really the first we had ever seen a name referring to him, and could find no other reference since. I guess that local boxing and wrestling too was a big deal back then with many competing for titles. I don't know how much fame my great grandfather had either, but it was a claim to fame on the part of my father and grandfather.:smile:

We have a company in stalybridge, I will  ask around some of the locals ,you never know someone may know something, have you a name I can start looking for.

Edited by stevewool
Added more
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, stevewool said:

We have a company in stalybridge, I will  ask around some of the locals ,you never know someone may know something, have you a name I can start looking for.

Thanks Steve --I think his first name was Joseph  "Teapot" Newton.:smile:

Here's the only written reference I found from a wrestling site.. 

6?-1861 – Newton Heath, Lancashire, England (Copenhagen grounds)?
J. Newton (alias Teapot) (of Staleybridge) def J. Reynolds (of Brodbury), 2-1 for £30
**Newton won the first the last falls in 5 and 7 minutes. Reynolds won the second in 4:30. … Newton was trained by J. Clough (alias Robin) and J. Matley (alias Barrel)... Weight limit was seven score 4lb. … J. Wild was referee. … Reference from 8-10-1861, Wilkes' Spirit of the Times.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Thanks Steve --I think his first name was Joseph  "Teapot" Newton.:smile:

Here's the only written reference I found from a wrestling site.. 

6?-1861 – Newton Heath, Lancashire, England (Copenhagen grounds)?
J. Newton (alias Teapot) (of Staleybridge) def J. Reynolds (of Brodbury), 2-1 for £30
**Newton won the first the last falls in 5 and 7 minutes. Reynolds won the second in 4:30. … Newton was trained by J. Clough (alias Robin) and J. Matley (alias Barrel)... Weight limit was seven score 4lb. … J. Wild was referee. … Reference from 8-10-1861, Wilkes' Spirit of the Times.

There is not much more after looking into this he. Won a few more fights and then lost a bout in 1865, and then the track seems to dry up, family history is a great thing but it does take some time .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, stevewool said:

.......family history is a great thing but it does take some time .

Hello Queenie, 

Did you see that?  Good ole Steve is looking for some compensation.  I believe he's asking for your recipe of your famous New England Clam Chowder......he, he.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, stevewool said:

There is not much more after looking into this he. Won a few more fights and then lost a bout in 1865, and then the track seems to dry up, family history is a great thing but it does take some time .

Still fighting in 1884.

8-16-1884 – Audenshaw, Lancashire, England (Snipe Inn – att. 700)
Joseph Newton (alias Young Teapot, of Ashton) def George Wrench, 1-0, utc
**Wrench was injured after being thrown on the ground. The men had to be 132lb or less

• Like 2

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

i was mesmerized when i 1st saw this carpool vid.. the memories flooding back in torrents.. greatest time ever to be alive and a teen.. it led my mind to remember this...   https://www.bing.com/search?q=beatles+manila+nightmare&qs=n&form=CHRDEF&pc=U316&sp=-1&pq=undefined&sc=0-24&sk=&cvid=B3C8F4D406AF472DBB66EED37775030F

its an inescapable irony to me. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, lobojohn said:

i was mesmerized when i 1st saw this carpool vid.. the memories flooding back in torrents.. greatest time ever to be alive and a teen.. it led my mind to remember this...   https://www.bing.com/search?q=beatles+manila+nightmare&qs=n&form=CHRDEF&pc=U316&sp=-1&pq=undefined&sc=0-24&sk=&cvid=B3C8F4D406AF472DBB66EED37775030F

its an inescapable irony to me. 

Just looks like a bing search page to me. Any particular link you want to reference?