Dumaguete? Be honest please.

two_wires
Posted
Posted

Trying for 3rd time lucky in the Philippines. Rizal  - wiped out by Ondoy, Manila - too overcrowded... so now I'm looking at Dumaguete.

Opinions and useful local info would be appreciated. Minor things also: connectivity, immigration, street dogs, is it safe after dark?etc.

I'm currently in Thailand - if anyone can offer cost of living comparisons that would be excellent.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Consider using the search tool there are answers to most or all your very general questions.

If you have specific questions someone may have something to offer.

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

As mentioned previously, the main negative reason is the air pollution and traffic.  On my next trip, I am thinking of renting a scooter and living just outside of the city.  I hear Valencia, just up the mountain is not as polluted and cooler.  

But overall, Dumaguete is a pretty convenient  city with most western amenities just a short trike ride away.  The reason I keep coming back I really like the ambiance of Silliman University which I am thinking of attending to keep me busy during my recent retirement. 

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hmm......"the ambiance of Silliman University"?  I would fail big time with all those distracting ambiance:

UNIVERSITY COEDS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jake said:

Hmm......"the ambiance of Silliman University"?  I would fail big time with all those distracting ambiance:

You just might have even more fun this month, Jake :hystery:

Why we celebrate Pride Month (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Intersex, Asexual community)

“Apart from raising awareness, we celebrate Pride Month for the years we couldn’t—the years we spent hiding, in denial, or still trying to make sense of our identities.” —Isabel Echavez, Silliman University

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The few expats who have been killed will say no

I doubt if they will say anything :1927_:

• Haha 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I doubt if they will say anything :1927_:

OUCH.jpg :5795:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Is it safe after dark?  Those of us who are still alive will say yes.  The few expats who have been killed will say no.  Your mileage will vary.

I like this statement - says so much without saying very much.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I just found this article.  Somehow I missed it when it came out in March of this year but it gives a premonition of the future for expats in Dumaguete:

Dumaguete must regulate quality of expats, tourists

DUMAGUETE CITY – The number of inbound tourists both domestic and foreign visiting Dumaguete is ever-increasing by the hundreds almost every day.  Time will come when this city will be teeming with tourists and it might be too late to regulate them.

It is high time our city legislators will come up with an omnibus ordinance regulating the stay, behavior, safety, welfare, security and protection of tourists visiting Dumaguete City and Negros Oriental.

WE hear of complaints  that there are unruly tourists arriving if not staying in Dumaguete. WE believe that Mayor Remollo might create a technical working group that will focus on the welfare of tourists.

We envision a body of a cross section of stakeholders whom will receive complaints from citizens local or foreign about tourism matters in the City.  This body should be able to lead the complaints to the proper forum and agency for solution.

Spoiler

Better still some civic group might wish to lead in organizing these resident-expats whose stay here might be made more pleasant  through their interaction and if not protection.

In short this body might want to make the stay of tourists here more pleasant and memorable, instead of horrible.

It is an honor to have chosen   Dumaguete as among the top ten best places to retire  in the world.  Almost unbelievable but people say so. And even the internet interactions do say so.

It must be so.  Thus, there ought to be a law to make Dumaguete remain as among the best places to retire .

Look at those sprouting high rise  condominiums and sprawling residential subdivisions opening here and there. This could be the answer to utilizing idle lots to the fullest in the future……less and less  agriculture but more  tourism destinations.

Like who will supply organic green leafy vegetables to tourists if we do not build organic farms? Someone has to supply our visitors and hotels with organically grown food.  So idle lots must also be utilized.

Summer is near and soon our streets, boulevards, beaches and resorts will be teeming with tourists who want to bask under the sun, and to escape their bitter winter. Dumaguete must be prepared for such eventuality.  Even our modes of transportation the tricycle must  now be changed to more environment friendly e-trikes.

Our values and morals must also be preserved.  What is this that we hear about some lodging houses, spa centers, being used as sex dens ?  Our anti- indecency board is now set to inspect these areas one by one to make sure that these are not being operated illegally.

We just hosted the search for 24 inspiring teachers all over the country courtesy of the Saceda Youth Lead of Dave Sac. Congratulations for  many of those kinds of initiative by Dave, unique and good for the community welfare. A blessing for him for not having made  it into the city council.

By the way, when interviewed, those top mentors opined that  many teachers turned domestic helpers are mostly not fit to teach anyway. Second, they also look at income over their roles as model citizens and molders of the youth.

Before we forget, the Dept of Foreign Affairs must  now make it a new policy to  issue duplicate passports and keep the duplicate in their embassies of work,  where domestic helpers abound. So that when they are exploited and abused, they can just run to their embassies and fly home using their duplicate passports and visas. So employers have nothing to hold to prevent their DH from  returning to home base.  This is the easiest and fastest way to solve the perennial reports of DH being abused and exploited abroad.