Water bill problem: Association dues?

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

So I’m happily settling down in my condo that I’m renting since the beginning of June, and I just received the first water and electric bills. Unfortunately it seems that my landlord is trying to squeeze me a little too much, but before I talk to hear, I would like to hear your opinions. The electric bill is alright, I’m paying for the period since I had moved in, the problem is with the water bill: It’s only 35 Pesos for the water, but it also contains an amount of 500 Pesos for ‘association dues’. Naturally, when I got it today, I sent a text to my landlord, asking about it, to which she replied that I had to pay it. But my contract’s clause doesn’t mention anything about any kind of dues, it specifically says that I have to pay the electric and water based on the meter. Also, in my mind, I’m not a member of this association, but the owner is, so, unless specified in the contract, it’s certainly not for me. It’s 500, that’s 5% of my monthly rent, so even though it’s not a lot, it’s not negligible. What do you think? Here are the bill and the only clause in the contract that I found that refers to it:

7C788191-A532-4AE4-9045-C8029D74314D.jpeg

07B28CC0-BEE5-4A48-9641-41BE69DE7368.jpeg

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

If its not stated in your lease tell them to stick it. Association fees are for maintenance and security or whatever. Some leases state the tenant pays others not such as mine and yours. 

• Thanks 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Kurt

If it was Php 5,000 id say contest it but for 500 i would pay. Just my opinion. The hassle it may cause could be more than Php 500's worth!

Paul

• Like 2

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Kurt

If it was Php 5,000 id say contest it but for 500 i would pay. Just my opinion. The hassle it may cause could be more than Php 500's worth!

Paul

I hear you, it is a valid point. However, it’s certainly a monthly fee, which means I signed for a rent of 10’000 Pesos, but in reality I would pay 10’500 Pesos, which is just a little....sneaky? And I also wonder if there’s more to come? Maybe there are association fees that are billed every few months, and if I agree to pay now, it will be harder to refuse these as well. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

I hear you, it is a valid point. However, it’s certainly a monthly fee, which means I signed for a rent of 10’000 Pesos, but in reality I would pay 10’500 Pesos, which is just a little....sneaky? And I also wonder if there’s more to come? Maybe there are association fees that are billed every few months, and if I agree to pay now, it will be harder to refuse these as well. 

I dont know the landlord but to me, kick it in the butt now and confront with the contract. 

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont know the landlord but to me, kick it in the butt now and confront with the contract. 

She seems alright, she owns this condo together with her sister, and from what I can tell, she’s just trying, thinking that I’m a rich Swiss guy who won’t make a fuss about 500 Pesos...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

She seems alright, she owns this condo together with her sister, and from what I can tell, she’s just trying, thinking that I’m a rich Swiss guy who won’t make a fuss about 500 Pesos...

Have a polite respectful conversation with her. Would you be willing or able to walk away and find another place? If so make it known to her.

Like they say.... More fun in da Philippines 🇵🇭 

Or maybe offer to share that cost with her? In that way you show you are not gonna let anybody take advantage but at the same time be willing to be a friend. This could be helpful later if or when you may need assistance from her. 

Edited by Old55

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Would you be willing or able to walk away and find another place?

Well if he signed up for 6 months its not ideal.

17 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Or maybe offer to share that cost with her? In that way you show you are not gonna let anybody take advantage but at the same time be willing to be a friend.

Disagree as in that case she is taking advantage and would be no friend at all. If you sign a contract no matter what country that is meant to be binding. I bet when something needs work such as say aircon breaks the OP will now be expected to pay the bill to fix it. 

• Like 2

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Disagree as in that case she is taking advantage and would be no friend at all. If you sign a contract no matter what country that is meant to be binding. I bet when something needs work such as say aircon breaks the OP will now be expected to pay the bill to fix it

That is also my experience, with people in general. There’s a saying we have in Switzerland, it goes something like this: you offer someone assistance with just your finger, and he will take your entire arm instead. I’m sure you’ve got something very similar in the English language. 

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

That is also my experience, with people in general. There’s a saying we have in Switzerland, it goes something like this: you offer someone assistance with just your finger, and he will take your entire arm instead. I’m sure you’ve got something very similar in the English language. 

I think you’ve answered your question. :tiphat: