Water bill problem: Association dues?

RBM
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, PaulB said:

Kurt

If it was Php 5,000 id say contest it but for 500 i would pay. Just my opinion. The hassle it may cause could be more than Php 500's worth!

Paul

The woman will be encouraged to try more on if in fact she is attempting to rip you. I would not open a any doors nor would I pay it.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, RBM said:

The woman will be encouraged to try more on if in fact she is attempting to rip you.

Whatever the OP decides he needs to get it sorted as there will be a Bill every month :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

You misunderstood my question, I was under the impression that you’re in a similar situation, and I wanted to know how you are handling it.

Similar, but not identical.

"My" house is in fact owned by a Filipina who I have an arrangement with so the water bill/HOA fee is in her name.  I tried paying the water bill every month and telling the cashier that I would pay the HOA fees later.  Later never came and I did not really plan on paying as the house is not in my name.  I had heard all the usual BS that I could get away without paying it as all the Filipinos do the same but that is not entirely true.

The village co-ordinator (not sure what your equivalent would be) decided that he could make my life miserable and proceeded to try it on.  I ended up in a battle that I did not want or need.  It worked itself out, coincidentally at the same time I agreed to pay all the HOA fees that had been accumulating and keep those fees current.  It was never mentioned that this was a result of the HOA fees not being paid.  It was just a coincidence that the problems started when I stopped paying and ended when I resumed paying.  I find there are many foreigners who cannot read between the lines and are constantly having problems here.  End of story :cheersty:

So how am I handling it?  I pay water bill and homeowners fee every month or so (occasionally I am late but no one seems bothered).  If you do not pay it is unlikely your landlady will pay while you are residing there.  Thus it is you who will appear to be the problem insofar as the HOA is concerned.  So just pay it.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you do not pay it is unlikely your landlady will pay while you are residing there.  Thus it is you who will appear to be the problem insofar as the HOA is concerned.  So just pay it.

Why would it be the HAO blaming the tenant when clearly the place is not in his name nor owned by him?  The whole point is to talk to the landlord in a pleasant manner and explain ones concerns that its not what was agreed to and go from there. Yes the OP has done that but all we are told here is she said he has to pay but nothing more rather than what her explanation was of not including it in the lease.

In my case l only pay the water part of the dues and the landlord pays their part so we get a copy of the bill and pay what we should and they pay there part separately. Incidentally a few months back the admin office decided that sewage is to be charged as a percentage of the water bill so l had to pay that new charge .

• Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

In principle you have a contract which makes no mention of the HOA fee. And a contract is a contract. In my contract I pay the HOA fees in addition to the rent. Speaking to other expats who rent it seems normal for the tenant to pay them. As others have pointed out, these cover garbage collection, street lighting, security, as well as general maintenance of the sub-division or condo unit common areas. I don't think it's unreasonable for the tenant to pay them.  It may well be that the contract you have was not very well worded. Especially if she drew it up herself. She possibly assumed that you are liable for the HOA fee but neglected to put it in the contract.  The issue you have is whether you want to potentially stir up bad feeling with your landlady by sticking to the letter of the contract and refusing to pay. On the other hand, if you are about to do her a big favour then you might be able to use that as leverage to avoid, or reduce the amount due. Whichever way, I would try and reach an amicable settlement rather that stand too much on principle.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 4

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The whole point is to talk to the landlord in a pleasant manner

Exactly, that was my plan from the start, and thanks to all your inputs, I’ll be better prepared :)

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

I don't think it's unreasonable for the tenant to pay them

If you go to all the rental sites including Facebook market place it is usually stated in the ads if the rent includes these fees or tenant pays. As a guess only I would say more than 50% are advertised as including condo dues etc but not utilities. Its simple, either the rent is a higher price or its less and the tenant pays all but of course before signing this needs to be clear. 

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Exactly, that was my plan from the start, and thanks to all your inputs, I’ll be better prepared :)

just out of curiosity are there other renters there that you could just go to and ask about their own bills? that would have been the 1st thing id have done. 

regarding this little advantage you think you may have over her ,as she has asked you for a big favor? tread lightly my friend.. life is full of pitfalls and trap doors and magic house mirrors.. 

also? im chuckling to myself that i just read 3 pages all over p500....   principal or not.. youre in the fils .. it aint kansas dorothy

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, lobojohn said:

im chuckling to myself that i just read 3 pages all over p500

And added to it :hystery:   We are all a bunch of old fuddy duddys at times  :cheersty:

• Like 3

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, lobojohn said:

also? im chuckling to myself that i just read 3 pages all over p500....   principal or not.. youre in the fils

Well, if you think it is so insignificant, would you pay it for me? I signed a lease for 12 months, so to make it easier, you could send me the 6000 Pesos?

• Like 1
  • Love it 2