Grounding of electric appliances

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mr-T said:

Seems like some misunderstanding here. The OP asked what he should do with the ground wire from his Refrigerator. I mentioned that he should ground it to a water pipe, this is a safe  and usual practice, not dangerous. One end of the wire is already grounded to the fridge, the free end to a grounding rod or water pipe as i was taught. 

Un plugging appliances is just a safety measure here in the Ph. Yes and only if the  socket is live. Just like you quoted. Best to unplug, better to be safe than sorry. When a unit is properly grounded if there is a electrical leak ( partial ground) on the unit the excess voltage will go to ground thous preventing someone from getting shocked. Even the transmission poles must be grounded when it is a metal pole. Where i live they use the two wire system for electric supply to the customers. This is outdated and not safe.  

I am just trying to answer a simple question. Next time i will keep my mouth shut. Two third of my life i worked with electricity. over 55 yrs. Guessed i am not qualified to answer a simple question. 

You are correct, my father was a 'sparkie' and he used to do exactly what you have said here.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

All this is OK but I would question how many of you have metal water pipes? Grounding don't work on Plastic All Lolas stuff was grounded to the nearest security Grill. Me, I had the Whole House Grounded when we Built and have a big FO lightning Conductor through the roof 

Jack:mellow:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jake said:

Respectfully Jake, 4th illegitimate cousin of Bubba.  

My wife was asking why I had tears running and I told her I just learned I'm related to Jake through the in-laws of Bubba!:SugarwareZ-034:

• Haha 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/15/2017 at 6:54 AM, davewe said:

I noticed that both the refrigerator and microwave came with a separate ground wire. The instructions said to connect it for safety purposes but not where to connect it to.

Doe's the cord look like this with the short ground wire?

71KSTfj9-CL._SL1416_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My live in partner does not drive, not even a motorcycle, but tells me what route I should take and how fast I should drive and warns me about all the hazards on the road.

Sound like you have a Hyacinth also

• Haha 4

davewe
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Doe's the cord look like this with the short ground wire?

71KSTfj9-CL._SL1416_.jpg

That looks like the microwave cord but the ref has a completely separate ground wire.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, davewe said:

That looks like the microwave cord but the ref has a completely separate ground wire.

Ic, built for Japanese type plugs? With the microwave one it might be bit hard to find a water pipe so close to the outlet. :tiphat:

XNbfX.jpg

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Over the years in Philippines I have had no trouble with shocks from most appliances but there are 3 that always give me trouble.  They are cheap electric stovetops, coffee kettles, and submersible water heaters.  I have had many shocks from each of these to the point where I don't use any of them if I can help it.  They look like this

Electric shockers.jpg

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

submersible water heaters

I thought the purpose of these was to give you that pleasurable little tingle?

I bought one of these to heat water for the kiddy pools and that was a shocking experience!  I'm certain those are not legal in the U.S.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Mr-T
Posted
Posted
On September 16, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Why would you do that?

You answered the question.  It was a good answer.  I do not see anyone criticizing you but I do see other people wanting to have a say.  If there was only reply and then it was  "End of discussion!" the forum would quickly get boring.  So thank you for your contribution.  People do read and appreciate it.

EDIT:  I hear what you are saying about being a professional electrical worker and knowing what you are talking about.  I was a professional driver for my working career.  My live in partner does not drive, not even a motorcycle, but tells me what route I should take and how fast I should drive and warns me about all the hazards on the road.  Professionals are underrated these days :7500:

No problem Dave. Just the way i react at times. My apologies to you guys. I am still here and do enjoy the forum. Take care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1