Grounding of electric appliances

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Capa said:

There is a Philippine Electrical Code that spells out what the color coding is, and I imagine it is similar to US code and the colors are supposed to be those I mentioned before. Obviously it is not followed! A big deal? Only when things have to be opened up for service or repair. In that case just be hyper-aware that it is an unsafe condition to not know which color is the HOT wire (220V)!

Hot on the right and Neutral on the left as per your message above, right?  Which is fine if you can trust that the box was not inserted upside down! 

Honestly speaking, I don't touch electrics beyond what I am 110% sure of, that stuff kills.

Capa
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Hot on the right and Neutral on the left as per your message above, right?  Which is fine if you can trust that the box was not inserted upside down! 

Honestly speaking, I don't touch electrics beyond what I am 110% sure of, that stuff kills.

Yes agreed, safety first. Yes you never know what someone else has done, and yes, as you face the outlet right hand side (and the narrower slot/prong) should be wired with the black, HOT, 220 volt wire, and the left hand slot (wider) should be wired with the white, NEUTRAL, or return wire. And of course below both of those is the rounded GROUND slot, and should have the green wire. The only way to know if it is wired correctly is to measure the respective voltages with a voltmeter or DMM. And when handling these wires, switch off the circuit breakers so there is no live voltage present. Hope that helps!

Edited by Capa
Yes and the outlets are sometimes installed upside down, no big deal there because the outlet is polarized, that is the narrow slot is HOT, the wide slot is NEUTRAL, and GROUND will then be on top!
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Capa said:

HOT, 220 volt wire, and the left hand slot (wider)

Just looking at my appliances and none have different size prongs. The only two plugs that l have with 3 prongs are the aircon and a power board. Funny thing I didn't even take any notice that all the points in this condo are for 3 prongs. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Capa said:

Yes agreed, safety first. Yes you never know what someone else has done, and yes, as you face the outlet right hand side (and the narrower slot/prong) should be wired with the black, HOT, 220 volt wire, and the left hand slot (wider) should be wired with the white, NEUTRAL, or return wire. And of course below both of those is the rounded GROUND slot, and should have the green wire. The only way to know if it is wired correctly is to measure the respective voltages with a voltmeter or DMM. And when handling these wires, switch off the circuit breakers so there is no live voltage present. Hope that helps!

And with the breaker off don't assume anything. For all you know it my be breaking the neutral or just next doors lights.

Capa
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

And with the breaker off don't assume anything. For all you know it my be breaking the neutral or just next doors lights.

LOL in the PI, that is certainly possible! No pride in workmanship!

Gary D
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Capa said:

No, too much pride just very little clue.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Capa said:

Your very negative about every aspect of the Philippines and you may have noticed up until now every one of your post had to be approved but what I dont understand is why you are in the Philippines? 

Your profile says you are Japanese , your location say Bangkok but you know everything about the Philippines so dont take this as a personal attack but you have me intrigued? 

You first registered a with an IP of Thailand and now log in as in the Philippines so surely the Philippines is not so bad otherwise you would not be here? 

In my way of thinking, dont treat your host country as lesser than yourself otherwise best to move.  :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Capa
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

o surely the Philippines is not so bad otherwise you would not be here? 

In my way of thinking, dont treat your host country as lesser than yourself otherwise best to move.  :tiphat:

Awww, I'm also very critical of Japan. Doesn't mean I don't think that both Japan and the PI are great nations. Every country has its own characteristic personality, and yes of course we must all "live and let live" if we are going to live in these various places!

• Like 1