Second visit

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Congratulations on the purchase of the condo as you have some protection there but I hope you've seriously done enough due dilligence on the land leasing, especially up in the hills.  Most land in the hills tend to be tax declared and not titled.  Not that it'll make too much difference but if the land has a title chances are you'll be dealing with the owner.  If it's tax declared the land could belong to anyone not just the person holding the tax declaration.  If you build or farm on it there's a chance someone will remember they have ancestral rights to it and the probs begin. 

Theres no tax declared land ,the title's are clean and have been checked ,the condo has bern rented out long term , the gf would apear to know what she us doing and the attorney's also gave me confidence , 

Hey it's only a 25k punt lol

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Theres no tax declared land ,the title's are clean and have been checked ,the condo has bern rented out long term , the gf would apear to know what she us doing and the attorney's also gave me confidence , 

Sounds like you got a bargain for 25k.  That would get you a few months lease in most places of the Philippines. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Are you saying you only have short term lease of land? 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you saying you only have short term lease of land? 

No , the 25k quoted is gb pound's, the land is being leased to me on a 25 +25 year contract 

The project will be getting off the ground this week ,i have a surveyor marking the plot and about 20 guys putting in a perimeter fence , chain link with a barbed wire on top 

Water installation will start this week also GF is senior management in the waterboard

Electricity onsite some time in the near future 

I intend to have a cheap  house built to starr with 

The fence is costing 300k pesos, water 35k and electricity  35k

Also have a crew going to clear the land and prune the fruit trees , theres 50 mango 12 coconut ,2 durian and other fruit trees on the plot ,it also has a small stream running through it 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

it also has a small stream running through it 

Careful with those small streams!  They can get really big!

New Jersey two days ago:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

You certainly don't hang around.  I don't want to sound negative but I seriously hope you've done your homework and not relying on others.  One thing I've learned here is most things are very simple to check out yourself and to be truthfull must be checked out yourself.  

From my personal experiences I've been assured about the availability and been shown clean titles.  I used that as a starting point.  I've then applied for a true up to date title from the Land Registration Office.  In most cases the land turned out to be tax declared or the title had a few caveats on it, family members interests, loans, building restrictions etc.  

Just because an attorney says it's good doesn't mean it is.  I've also been lied to so many times by sellers and agents.  Even good Filipino friends when I asked for advice told me there's nothing to worry about then when I found problems they still assured me it was nothing.  They just don't seam to get the idea of law here.  It's pretty much go ahead and don't worry about it as everyone does the same.  Well as Boracay has shown things are changing and changing rapidly.  The Philippines is rapidly catching up with technology and finding ways to implement rules.  

Have you honestly seen a copy of the title dated within the time frame you were looking at the land?  A common practice is for the land owner to have the title.  He then accidentally loses it to get another copy or forges one with no restrictions.  They take out loans on the land and these loans are tied to the title and the title updated.  When you come along the original clean title is shown to you and you fall for it.  

If you are lucky and the title shown is genuine ensure your lease is annotated on the title and it's updated at the LRO.  A gentleman's handshake or contract means very little if the title doesn't show it.  It'll also make it harder for the landowner to sell while you have the lease giving you some protection. 

The next thing is the electricity.  Hopefully it's running past the lot and just needs bridging.  If it's coming from a nearby town good luck with that as " coming soon" could mean years away. 

Finally is there access to the land without crossing others boundaries? Barangay road etc.  I've got a very good friend who has lived here 35 years fighting just this thing and he thought him and his wife were clued up. 

As I say I'm sorry for sounding negative but I've seen too many good guys getting shafted. 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Finally is there access to the land without crossing others boundaries? Barangay road etc.  I've got a very good friend who has lived here 35 years fighting just this thing and he thought him and his wife were clued up. 

As I say I'm sorry for sounding negative but I've seen too many good guys getting shafted. 

Good point Snowy :thumbsup:

Here in Dumaguete this is getting to be a big problem causing much heart and headaches and costing plenty to put right (in many cases never) reselling that land can then become another nightmare  as we all should know by now, Buyer beware  :sad:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I seriously hope you've done your homework

You and I both know that we can do as much homework as we like and still come unstuck.  But sometimes we get lucky.  You got lucky in  Boracay, (your condo is OK right?) and I got lucky with an ex who did not screw me in a bad way.  Life is a risk in the Philippines and we all take those risks, whether we know it or not.

Yes, loads of guys get shafted here, but nothing we say will stop the next guy from thinking it won't happen to him.  That's why we should all smile and say "good for you" when someone goes against all the advice on this forum (which almost all of us have done from time to time :hystery: )

So best of luck and congrats to bastonjock and may all his problems be little ones.

• Like 5

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Fingers crossed my apartment is safe.  It's titled but I've found out that as the title is less than 30yrs old it can be overturned.  Fortunately my apartment is within Alta Vista who own over 500 of the apartments and they've got the money and political clout to fight most things.  Duterte is pushing for Land Reform nation wide so it'll be interesting to see what comes from it. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When we (well Azon) did our lot, we had to get a DAR (Department of Agricultural reform) Clearance to move it from Agricultural land to Domestic, It help in a big way because to get that Clearance it had to go via City Hall, Registrars and BIR so in our case the Title was as sound as it was ever going to be at that time because they can tell if all liens/taxes are paid ( No probs yet) Anyone that is looking to buy land that is not on a Subdivision or is a Subdivision of a larger Lot could do worse than go to DAR and enquire if a clearance is needed. Yes the Land Tax is Higher as it will be rezoned But.......... peace of mind will in most cases always cost that little extra.

Just my experience :smile:

• Like 4