Second visit

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I'm getting more of an insight into philipinos  culture and the differences with us here in the West , they share what they have here and also expect you to share , if it's in the fridge , it's anyone's lol 

We are behaving as a family  here , I've got the gf and her youngest with me most of the time , she's juggling work and time with me and her son , breakfast is very different , trying to get used to rice and hotdogs 

Still having a great time 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Itrying to get used to rice and hotdogs 

Rice and eggs is an alternative :cornflakes:

• Like 3

Rooster
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Rice and eggs is an alternative :cornflakes:

Or Cold Dog and Rice. :smile:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just a thought...  likely there will be a bake shop close by, probably more than one.  Some hot bread makes a nice change.

And you can always add Tocino or Sardines to the rice instead of hot dogs or combine with eggs (which can be scrambled or fried or poached).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I'm getting more of an insight into philipinos  culture and the differences with us here in the West , they share what they have here and also expect you to share , if it's in the fridge , it's anyone's lol 

We are behaving as a family  here , I've got the gf and her youngest with me most of the time , she's juggling work and time with me and her son , breakfast is very different , trying to get used to rice and hotdogs 

Still having a great time 

Every day is a school day here. I'm still in the infancy of getting to recognise the cultural differences after about 1 1/2 years here. Some are great, others you'll just shake your head and think "WHY?" The main thing is you'll struggle to change any of them. 

It sounds like you're having a ball and you've got your head screwed on. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

they share what they have here and also expect you to share , if it's in the fridge , it's anyone's lol 

I find it to be reciprocal sharing and some "higher than thou" sharing.

It is my observation that the poor share with each other and if someone feeds you today then you feed them another day if you can.  The rich put on parties and invite the poor to rub it in their faces, (exaggerated, I know), but the poor accept that in order to get a free meal and speak highly of their richer relatives to be sure they are invited to the next shindig.

Anything in my fridge is fair game for the immediate family, (as in gf and her kids and her mom and dad), but anyone else will ask before taking unless they are very rude.  Such is my experience but each family has different social rules.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I find it to be reciprocal sharing and some "higher than thou" sharing.

It is my observation that the poor share with each other and if someone feeds you today then you feed them another day if you can.  The rich put on parties and invite the poor to rub it in their faces, (exaggerated, I know), but the poor accept that in order to get a free meal and speak highly of their richer relatives to be sure they are invited to the next shindig.

Anything in my fridge is fair game for the immediate family, (as in gf and her kids and her mom and dad), but anyone else will ask before taking unless they are very rude.  Such is my experience but each family has different social rules.

I'm not even sure this is different to how things work in the UK and perhaps most countries. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Red Mill muesli cereal is available in some grocery stores in Cebu City now for the same price we pay here in da States. That and the wonderful fresh fruit your gonna be living large my friend. Gotta keep your strength up don't you know. :shades:

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

My best friend gitbsick of his water prison in pampanga,  so he and his gf got a flight down to davao , I've let them use my rented condo for a the few days that they are here

I've moved into the gf house for the duration , it a small block built with tin roof two bed house , I'm finding it all enjoyable and a learning curve , she lives in a sub division and walking around the  area it appears that this is free of expats , I like it , it's the real philipines, I'm guessing that the philipinos in the sub division are a lot better off than the average philipinos , yes the rooster wake you up. 

I'm looking into buying a condo here in davao,  had a look at a few on Friday,  one was 15 mill for a one bed palace ,most appear to be in the 3 to 5 mill bracket

I'm now starting to make serious plans to move here 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1