Second visit

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

I'm guessing that the philipinos in the sub division are a lot better off than the average philipinos

The Fiipinos who live in my Subdivision, (entry level housing near Dumaguete) all appear better off than the average foreigner living here on US$1,000  a month.  Sometimes appearances are deceiving but there sure are a lot of them with 2 cars and 2 motorcycles and 3 aircons in their "double" house.  My best guess is that there are 2 or 3 or 4 household members contributing to the monthly expenses and there are lots of payments to be made.  I cannot picture truly well off Filipinos choosing to live in an entry level subdivision, and yet there are some 2 million peso cars parked in front of 1.5 million peso houses and the typical career of my neighbors is nursing, call center, police, government employee, etc etc.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

there are some 2 million peso cars parked in front of 1.5 million peso houses 

I've seen that in some subdivisions also although it doesn't appear to be the case in the one we're in (which is a gated subdivision but not one where there was a single builder).  It has a lot more variety than that, there are motorbikes, tricycles, small cars, medium AUVs, large SUVs and even a couple of Jeepneys (that I assume belong to a resident).  And the houses range from small tin roof 2 room concrete block right up to houses that make our place look small (and it's really not that small, see below).

Nb. SWMBO is flying to Cebu to get some records and shop and then will meet me when I arrive and we'll fly back together to CDO (photo taken today).

Christy Mae CDO house 220718.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
typo
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The Fiipinos who live in my Subdivision, (entry level housing near Dumaguete) all appear better off than the average foreigner living here on US$1,000  a month.  Sometimes appearances are deceiving but there sure are a lot of them with 2 cars and 2 motorcycles and 3 aircons in their "double" house.  My best guess is that there are 2 or 3 or 4 household members contributing to the monthly expenses and there are lots of payments to be made.  I cannot picture truly well off Filipinos choosing to live in an entry level subdivision, and yet there are some 2 million peso cars parked in front of 1.5 million peso houses and the typical career of my neighbors is nursing, call center, police, government employee, etc etc.

Same where I am, although maybe a notch above entry-level housing.  The car is a status symbol here (as in many places) and I suspect most are on long loan repayment terms so will be paying a more affordable amount per month.  Financial planning/wisdom isn't in abundance here from what I can see. Also,  a fair few are receiving subsidy from 'richish' aunts/uncles abroad. 

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Nearly all the rich/middle class Filipinos I talk to were OFWs, a lot of them then invest in property or franchises.

Average wage for a Doctor or Lawyer is just like $1,000 a month, you get over $5k a month for being a nurse in the US lol.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

Same where I am, although maybe a notch above entry-level housing.  The car is a status symbol here (as in many places) and I suspect most are on long loan repayment terms so will be paying a more affordable amount per month.  Financial planning/wisdom isn't in abundance here from what I can see. Also,  a fair few are receiving subsidy from 'richish' aunts/uncles abroad. 

Another head shot bulls eye!  Crab mentality is also part of the Filipino culture.

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Nearly all the rich/middle class Filipinos I talk to were OFWs, a lot of them then invest in property or franchises.

Average wage for a Doctor or Lawyer is just like $1,000 a month, you get over $5k a month for being a nurse in the US lol.

It's impossible to compare salary levels across countries - I'd bet a bottle of beer costs more than 5x what it costs here in the Philippines 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It's impossible to compare salary levels across countries - I'd bet a bottle of beer costs more than 5x what it costs here in the Philippines 

Which is why a lot of OFW work overseas for some years, invest overseas,  and then return to the Philippines where their money goes further.

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yeah but most OFW's will spend 10-20 years in the US living cheaply, I doubt many are often buying beer at bars, prices for beer from a shop are pretty similar anyway (are in the UK anyway). 
Then they can move back here with a big lump sum that they've saved up or invested in businesses.

Just used to surprise me seeing so many guys driving round in new cars here until I started talking to them and found out most worked abroad. Really don't see how anyone is going to get rich here with a standard job, either need to have your own business or work overseas.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Which is why a lot of OFW work overseas for some years, invest overseas,  and then return to the Philippines where their money goes further.

Yep.  The secret is to earn in a "rich" country and spend in a "poor" one!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Yeah but most OFW's will spend 10-20 years in the US living cheaply, I doubt many are often buying beer at bars, prices for beer from a shop are pretty similar anyway (are in the UK anyway). 
Then they can move back here with a big lump sum that they've saved up or invested in businesses.

Just used to surprise me seeing so many guys driving round in new cars here until I started talking to them and found out most worked abroad. Really don't see how anyone is going to get rich here with a standard job, either need to have your own business or work overseas.

I'm not sure where you're doing your shopping in the UK or the Philippines, but a beer here surely costs significantly less than in the UK?

I agree with your last comment - difficult to earn more than enough to get by here unless you own your own business.