ShippingCart.com

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I haven't tried downloading a book to my kindle yet in the Philippines so I don't know if it will work. Couldn't in Germany a couple of years back when I finished a book halfway through the trip. Previously I've away loaded sufficient books for my trip.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It's worked for me in the Philippines but Amazon are getting more active around geographic restrictions.

Or it might be because I'm downloading books from Kindle Unlimited (renting) not buying them?

I can't check right now because I'm back in Oz right now.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

My kids bought me a nook years ago that was sketchy. My friend, who liked to buy refurbished ones on-line cheap, loaded it up with 2-300 books that he pirated. I read some, but had trouble with the OS, so I gave it to one of my kids to keep, since she had other IT friends who could straighten it our for her as a back up.

3 years ago another daughter gifted me a Kindle Fire that worked quite well, but it didn't come with a library so I only used it as a tablet when traveling, still preferring hard copy for reading books. Battery died, just before coming over this year, when it failed to charge just before leaving. I might buy a cheapo refurb if the batt. servicing cost comes in high when I try to get it running later.

My friend here usually goes to a mall computer servicing place and has them load up scores of pirated novels by his favorite authors to read up his island. He pays P200, and is content with that.

The two used book shops closed up here where I am, so I survive with borrowed expat books when I want to read off-line now, or bring 2-3 paperbacks with me... which is sufficient.  

Huge free libraries are now accessible on-line if you like the classics.  

My local US library also has time limited accesibility to e-books that I can access if I want. Never tried although I have the library pamphlet with me and my library access codes.

• Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Kindle fire batteries look easy the change, they come with a tool to split the case and cost about $20. I have a new battery for mine but haven't changed it yet as the original battery is still hsnging on.

• Thanks 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

Kindle fire batteries look easy the change, they come with a tool to split the case and cost about $20. I have a new battery for mine but haven't changed it yet as the original battery is still hsnging on.

Thanks for the tip off, Gary.  

I just finished watching 4 youtube vids on Kindle Fire battery replacement methods for the different models. Some easier than others. They claim you can get a batt. and complimentary, inexpensive tool kit for $10-12 on ebay. We will see. The two small 00 and special tip screw drivers aren't needed on earlier models, but the plastic pry bar and guitar pick - like wedge helps with cracking the case on all.

On many models though, the charger port connection solder breaks, which is why some seem to have dead batts.  Comments say its a case of poor engineering design.

A couple of electronic techs show how to remove the circuit board and repair it on other vids.  If that's the cause, I will just bring it with me to the PI and risk having the lads here try to repair it, since it is getting old and not of great use to me as is. 

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Speaking of batteries, fellow ShippingCart patrons should be aware that batteries are not shippable via their service. However, I don't know if that's restricted to regular batteries or if it also includes computer/electronics batteries.

It's best to ask as you otherwise won't know until the item is rejected in your cart.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/27/2019 at 12:52 PM, JDDavao said:

Speaking of batteries, fellow ShippingCart patrons should be aware that batteries are not shippable via their service. However, I don't know if that's restricted to regular batteries or if it also includes computer/electronics batteries.

It's best to ask as you otherwise won't know until the item is rejected in your cart.

Amazon will ship some batts to PH.  I have some 18 v nicads in my cart.  Lithium batts have many shipping restrictions.

• Like 1