Coca Cola!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Our local McD has not had any regular Coke for a month now and we slowly found out it is the same everywhere.  Bottled coke seems to be OK; it is the fountain syrup that is missing.

Seems to be something to do with Coke not being able to get enough sugar.  Have you heard about this?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Seems to be something to do with Coke not being able to get enough sugar. 

:89: I tend to think it may be a Cost thing due to sugar prices now with the TRAIN Tax But..................:shades: Remembering that McDo's are Franchises the operators may be reluctant to be giving away, so you may see an increase on menus that include a coke.

Just my thoughts on it.

BTW it is the same with Sprite in Dumaguete

Howard
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Our local McD has not had any regular Coke for a month now and we slowly found out it is the same everywhere.  Bottled coke seems to be OK; it is the fountain syrup that is missing.

Seems to be something to do with Coke not being able to get enough sugar.  Have you heard about this?

I've noticed a lot more of the fast food places saying no coke too, not just Mcdo but Jolibee also.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Howard said:

I've noticed a lot more of the fast food places saying no coke too, not just Mcdo but Jolibee also.

Everybody is out here.  Some have Sprite.  At Burger King a few days ago, they only had iced tea or water.

https://www.philstar.com/business/2018/05/25/1818285/coca-cola-laments-farmers-failure-supply-sugar

https://www.pressreader.com/philippines/manila-bulletin/20180529/281844349309009

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Interesting.  I have noticed a lot more restaurants saying "Coke not available" and offering another soft drink in its place.  I thought very little of it until now.  Could be the cost of Coke went up with the price of sugar et al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Interesting.  I have noticed a lot more restaurants saying "Coke not available" and offering another soft drink in its place.  I thought very little of it until now.  Could be the cost of Coke went up with the price of sugar et al.

Dave maybe as part of train and the emphasis on citizens drinking less sugared drinks has something to do with it?  I think that sugar prices here are at a low too.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)

From what I understand, the Philippines sugar refiners complained a while back that Coke was using HFCS and not Filipino sugar. So Coke accommodated them and switched. The selling price of sugar has gone up, though, and the sugar refiners are sad that their contracts are at a lower price with Coke. Coke has complained that the sugar refiners are selling their sugar on the open market and not honoring their deal to supply them with the amount of sugar they need.

Edited by JDDavao
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I should have read the whole thread. This explains it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Says it all here, greed. If coke has to import to get what they need then the price will fall with an abundance of sugar and the farmers will be stuck with sugar that they may have a problem to sell.

Local sugar producers are speculating the prices of sugar will shoot up that is why they do not want to release their committed volume to Coke,” he added.
Read more at https://www.philstar.com/business/2018/05/25/1818285/coca-cola-laments-farmers-failure-supply-sugar#zuRLasxIuM4UiVmk.99

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Jollibees and Greenwich seem to have beee out, for a while... S&R still has coke (all I care is coke zero).  :tiphat:

• Like 1