Super Typhoon Maria Impact on Philippines

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here are links of how Super Typhoon Maria will impact Philippines this coming week.  Note the forecast is likely to change over the next 24-48 hours so prepare accordingly.

DOST-PAGASA Weather Outlook

Joint Typhoon Warning Center (US Navy)

Edited by ITGeek
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Strange as I get several Email a day about anything Philippines related and this is the first I have heard of a typhoon. 

TimL
Posted
Posted

I heard Japan, Guam and China are in its sights.

KC813
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Strange as I get several Email a day about anything Philippines related and this is the first I have heard of a typhoon. 

Not too surprising.  There was not much talk about it since the storm was never projected to hit the Philippines.  Just enhance the southwest winds.  It was only a tropical depression over Guam, then rapidly gained strength as it moved to the northwest. 

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I just checked the JTWC update on the projected path of Typhoon Maria (downgraded from Super Typhoon).  It's now projected to track further South, placing the Batanes Islands within the Southern end of the track projection cone (and within PAR).  No doubt it will still impact the habagat, just a matter of how severe.  Will check next update in 6 hrs to read next forecast.

wp1018.gif

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Good site to see real time winds anywhere on the planet. One can zoom in/out, rotate.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=122.61,14.04,387

I was using that one but someone posted this one a few weeks ago and I find it much better!  You can have several views along with the wind.

https://www.windy.com/?14.307,121.113,5

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

someone posted this one a few weeks ago and I find it much better! 

I like both sites now.  Thanks OMW and Rooster.  The OMW link is great because it "plays" like a video to show upcoming predictions.

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I was using that one but someone posted this one a few weeks ago and I find it much better!  You can have several views along with the wind.

https://www.windy.com/?14.307,121.113,5

Most of them get their data from the same WX reporting sources (NOAA, NASA, ESA, etc).  My preference is:
Ventusky

I noticed in this morning's JTWC report that Maria is upgraded back to Super Typhoon status.  It continues to track more West than North, closer to direct hit with Taipei.  It should enter the PAR before end of today.

Edited by ITGeek
  • Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

My kids have been trying to get a hold of me , to warn me about the typhoon ,