How did you decide to move to the Philippines

fototek1
Posted
Posted

What made you decide to move to the Philippines?

How old were you?

How long have you lived there?

Do you have any regrets? I know some of you will say you regret not retiring earlier and that is why I want to know as much as possible about your situation.

I am 48 and trying to decide if its time to try out early retirement. I have worked more hours than the average 60 year old and its catching up with me. Financially I am above average (for a 50 year old). Not rich by any means but I own a house (no mortgage) and have no debt and also have a decent 401k. The nice thing is my wife is from an above average filipino family and they want her to move home so they offer incentive..... We both want to retire and spend part of the year in the US and part in the Philippines and we don't want to depend on anyone else. I am not sure we have enough money to do that yet but we are considering taking a chance. We are confident that if our current investments preform as expected we can retire in 4 years. We all know things don't always turn out as expected.....

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I retired at 52 and most of my decision came about due to the changes I was seeing in society. It may have been going on a lot longer but with social media and a greater interaction with civilian life since leaving the forces I was seeing more attitudes that went against the values that I cared for.

I've lived here just over one year and so far I have no regrets. I've moved a couple of times and had a couple of semi long term relationships. The old adage that you don't know someone rings true probably more so in the Philippines a sthey cetrtainly have a completely alien outlook to things as most people in the West. Some of it is great and other parts drive you crazy.

If I was to change one thing it would be to have a larger bank balance to tide me by until my pensions fully kick in. They won't be great but if you are healthy you can survive pretty well on 80k peso per month, as long as you're not a party animal or subsidising an extended family or paying a bar girl for the compulsory hospital bill, sick caribou, travel fee, new phone or food for the children that haven't eaten in days. :whistling: 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, fototek1 said:

Do you have any regrets?

Absolutely None But then, that is me. Happy as a pig in Pig s..t But then, I always had a plan "B" Oh life has its ups and downs but once you get into the Swing of things  :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

OH, OH, I forgot to say I am here because I married a Filipina, although we have been married 10 years  I have only been here full time for 6 and that was a year early because of a Stroke, which brings me to say unless it is Major major don't be too frightened about Healthcare, mine, including Doctors, labs and meds is about 4.000 per month over the year We have Insurance but have never need it to date :smile:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 5

bows00
Posted
Posted

I'm 56 and just retired this year - I have achieved financial independence and traveling the Philippines.  I highly recommend you take the time to spend some time in the Philippines BEFORE you retire.  I have spent many weeks vacationing the Philippines before I made my jump into retirement.    

Currently, I am having the time of my life traveling from city to city, but I know the Philippines is not for everyone.  Heck, I'm still unsure how I will feel in the long run.  The best advice I got was from an expat Vlogger who said "Don't make any big decisions for at least a year" (i.e, buy a house, condo, open a business, get married, etc..)     

• Like 4

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I'm in davao at the moment in a three week vacation ,one of my main reasons is to get boots on the ground and check the Phil's out with regards to moving here 

I've got enough money to retire here before the pensions kick in but looking to do 6 months here 6 months UK 

I find something's anoying and other stuff exciting ,so I'm trying to position myself to be able to come up with a reliable plan 

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 7/9/2018 at 7:27 AM, fototek1 said:

The nice thing is my wife is from an above average filipino family and they want her to move home so they offer incentive....

That, in my opinion, is a major plus.  I'm assuming the family won't be asking you for handouts?  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
On 7/9/2018 at 7:27 AM, fototek1 said:

The nice thing is my wife is from an above average filipino family

So is mine but................ we soon learn

2 hours ago, bows00 said:

I'm assuming the family won't be asking you for handouts?  

They can be the worst on this issue and the excuses for borrowing are mind boggling  :wink:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My plan for many years was to retire somewhere in SEA.  I was supposed to be like 60.  Instead, I quit work at 48 for health reasons.  The PIs seemed to have a simpler tourist visa than Thailand, so here I am.  I have been in the PIs almost 6 years, and only a few months until I can actually retire.

I could write the book on how not to retire to the PIs... but I got no regrets.  I have 6 years of great fun & memories already. Money is overrated ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Money is overrated ha ha  :tiphat:

...Only by those with too much of it! :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Only by those with too much of it!

Nah, I went for years without it, in Canada.  I had about 10 credit cards and borrowed from one to make minimum payments on the other 9.  I was such a good customer that every year they upped my limit.  When I eventually went broke I was in debt big time.  No need for money when you have credit :hystery:  Disclaimer:  I blame it all on my ex-wife and it seriously is her fault except that I should have put my foot down and kicked her out long before we actually broke up.

• Like 1