Express lane fees

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I don't care what government it is, and I have seen examples of this in the States also, this kind of BS just really pisses me off :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::hystery:.

They admitted originally that they started the express lane fee to pay for overtime to speed up government services. Then it was a no-no. akin to corruption. I could understand that, even agree with it. So they stopped it and we had to wait longer in line. No worries, its the government! But to turn around and say, stop using it for overtime, but continue collecting it!! :huh-huh:

If they wanted the money, by god just increase the fees across the board, but don't out and out lie and charge for something that you don't deliver. :56da64a10ceee_1(235):

sigh, ok, off my soap box :hystery:

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) lost P869.24 million last year after it stopped collecting express lane fees starting in June — because of a misinterpretation of President Rodrigo Duterte’s veto on the use of the funds to pay for its personnel.

In its 2017 annual audit report, the Commission on Audit (COA) said the bureau should have kept imposing the express lane charges.The President, in his Dec. 22, 2016, message, stopped the bureau from using the charges for the salaries of its casual, contractual, confidential and job-order personnel. The bureau terminated the collection of the charges effective June 2017.

Only P568.52 million ended up being collected from January to May 2017.

The COA stressed that “it is only the use of express lane charges collected that was vetoed by the President and not the collection from express lane charges.”

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1008661/bi-misreads-duterte-order-loses-p869m-in-express-lane-fees#ixzz5Ko74DmSw

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b2

opt-out-icon2.png

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic.  First I find it unnecessary Philippines to dissect the fee the BI charges.  If the public saw: Fee for renewal 3000 pesos then they would not care what departments got what portion and just pay it.  However, since the Philippines break it down, we squabble over where the crumbs are going.  The allocation of the fees should be an internal thing unless we "customers" have a choice in whether or not to pay it.

The auditors have got the wrong end of the horse on this topic though. Had the BI continued to charge express lane fees and then given slow service, we "customers" would be paying for a service we did not get. Strange the way bureaucrats think in this country.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

First I find it unnecessary Philippines to dissect the fee the BI charges. 

To me it, seems  it was part of the previous Presidents ill throughout move on transparency that the current President got wrong by trying to improve it and again for me, got totally wrong. As we  say it is what it is as we are often told and the notice in the BI office states, Your Visas and extensions are a privilege not a right. I agree if the whole amount was just posted we would pay it as we must if we want to stay here :mellow:

Just my 10 cents

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Strange the way bureaucrats

Sometimes I wonder if is not that the Government uses a second language (English) as their official language and when they translate or put into English their Tagolog thoughts. I know that Brits use whilst and us yanks use while, but the root meaning is understandable. I can not count the number of times I have seen signs or words used in English that we don't normally use, like: No parking ON the driveway, instead of IN the driveway. So if "express" lane fee had been called, "extra personnel cost fee". Because I kept looking for an express lane on my first visit.

But as Jack says, just roll up the fee in the cost and we would never know and be happy as clams lolol

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I'm okay with a choice of express or not. I just extended for 59 days today for 3,150 normal speed. I received a chit saying I could pick up my passport in 7 days, which is fine with me, not going anywhere this week. I don't miss the extortion of the express lane fee of the old days, especially since it took days to get your passport back anyway. What is the difference between having to come back in 4 days or 7 days? Neither is convenient. For a time last year I had the best of both worlds, 1 hour service with no express lane fee! Too bad someone had to clarify the situation!

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, robert k said:

I don't miss the extortion of the express lane fee of the old days, especially since it took days to get your passport back anyway.

Here in Iloilo we always got it same day. I had no problem with the express fee. After they took it away the BI here set up a scammer an authorized travel agent in the lobby to sell access to facilitate the process...

DFI has gotten worse than BI.  Now they operate on appointments only and  you have to go to a service to buy an appointment.  I went online to make an appointment for a nephew and there is nothing in the next 90 days (as far ahead as they release appt).  But a cousin just got one by paying a service p1,500 for the appointment time.

With the ill thought out changes being made I have seen corruption, and service, get worse under this administration. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

With the ill thought out changes being made I have seen corruption, and service, get worse under this administration. 

But he is trying and learning and making further changes.  Its for the better in the long run.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, robert k said:

I don't miss the extortion of the express lane fee of the old days, especially since it took days to get your passport back anyway.

Before the abolishing of the express lane fee your passport was handed back in minutes so not sure why you never got yours back before you left the office?  

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Before the abolishing of the express lane fee your passport was handed back in minutes so not sure why you never got yours back before you left the office?  

Before and after the abolition of the Mandatory! express lane fees, I was going to the Dumaguete office. Ask any expat who was using that office in 2014. Express lane fee and then you wait 4 days. Many would just leave their passport at the office for 2 months.

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Over 1.4 billion pesos per year, that's some serious 'overtime' pay when there's probably only around 60-70 offices, some of which only have about 5 employees.