Boracay Update - Said to Reopen Oct 26

marine6357
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It appears that Boracay is comming along fine with this video uploaded a few days ago. Don't listen to the commentary but you can see the work being done which appears to be of good standard. 

Just amazes me that everyone working are wearing flip flops. But on the other hand everyone is wearing a hardhat and safety vest. Here in the US OSHA would have them for breakfast. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It appears that Boracay is comming along fine

I heard they have a guy working on a sign when its all done that says:

欢迎中国赌徒
Huānyíng zhōngguó dǔ tú
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It appears that Boracay is comming along fine with this video uploaded a few days ago. Don't listen to the commentary but you can see the work being done which appears to be of good standard. 

I walked that very road in the last couple of months.  It's just off of the main kite surfing area where the raw sewage was the worst.  It's certainly looking better than previous though they have demolished a few of the properties completely to put the new road and drainage in.  

It is however the easist part of the improvements.  The main heart of Boracay looks like it has been carpet bombed.  The fronts torn off off the majority of properties to widen the roads and lay new drainage.  The damaged properties are just sitting there with no work getting done to tidy them up as the owners have little money and also don't know if they will be evicted.  

I can foresee a nice wide modern road transferring tourist past what looks like a war zone. 

• Thanks 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, marine6357 said:

Just amazes me that everyone working are wearing flip flops. But on the other hand everyone is wearing a hardhat and safety vest. Here in the US OSHA would have them for breakfast. 

We just had a guy who was working on our little backyard pig pen drop a grinder that got stuck in the "on" position and chewed his foot up. Twenty-some stitches and P11,000. I gave him an old pair of my boots aftward but, day late, several hundred dollars short.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Twenty-some stitches and P11,000. I gave him an old pair of my boots aftward but, day late, several hundred dollars short.

OUCH.jpg on Both parts

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This bothers me:

on August 14, an outfall pipe is being put up, a device meant to drain rainwater and treated wastewater a kilometer out into the sea

After all that, are they just pushing the waste further out into the sea and hoping it does not wash back up on the beach?  Fat chance of that.

Here is the link.  There are some interesting pics on it

http://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/multimedia/slideshow/08/16/18/this-is-how-boracay-looks-like-then-and-now

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This bothers me:

After all that, are they just pushing the waste further out into the sea and hoping it does not wash back up on the beach?  Fat chance of that.

Here is the link.  There are some interesting pics on it

http://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/multimedia/slideshow/08/16/18/this-is-how-boracay-looks-like-then-and-now

Currently the waste had been going straight out of the properties right onto the beach front.  Theres a coral reef that runs the length of the beach about 600m out.  It made for a natural sewage trap.  The water stunk before and was seriously poluted.  

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, marine6357 said:

My gf is the safety officer for a team of 120 guys, she took me out on a site inspection, to check that the guys were working safely ,the only guy with steel toe caps was one of her managment team ,the road crew were moving rocks the size of a soccer ball wearing flip flops , there was one big guy for a Philippine man ,standing using his shovel for support, his belly was huge and his navel inverted it stuck out ,it was the size of a fist, he had experienced a bad hernia at some stage ,I asked the gf about him ,he did not look fit fir work , her reply was ,if I don't let him stand there ,he does not get paid and his family go hungry , I could not argue with that 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

The article states only filipino citizens will be allowed for the soft opening. Wonder if that incudes permanent residence also?www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/25-boracay-hotels-resorts-get-dot-nod/ar-BBMKowm?ocid=spartanntp

Edited by canadamale

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is a copy of the PhilStar news article;

MANILA, Philippines — Anticipating the Oct. 26 re-opening of resort island Boracay, the Department of Tourism (DOT) has released an initial list of 25 accommodation establishments with a total of 2,063 rooms that are certified compliant with the requirements of the Boracay inter-agency task force and can begin operations when the island begins receiving visitors next month.

The compliant establishments and the number of their rooms are: Luana Hotel/Hue Hotel (122); Astoria Current (156); Boracay Mandarin Island Hotel (52); Boracay Haven Resort (63); Boracay Haven Suites (63); Casa Pilar Beach Resort (82); Boracay Holidays Beach Resort (76); El Centro Beach Resort (44); De Paris Beach Resort (16); Best Western Boracay Tropics (64); Surfside Boracay Resort and Spa (14);

Fairways and Bluewater Beach Resort (700); Discovery Shores (87); The Lazy Dog (26); Red Coconut Beach Hotel (50); Starfire Resort (9); Canyon de Boracay (31); AV Seven Resort (7); Azalea Apartment Hotel (284); Reef Retreat Resort (12); Nigi-nigi Nu Noos’E Nunu Noos Beach (37); The Club Ten Beach Resort Boracay (21); Ferra Hotel (37); Den Pasar Beach Resort (4); and Blue Coral Beach Resort (6).

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said the rehabilitation of the island will go beyond the soft opening date of Oct. 26.

“Despite the soft opening, the government’s efforts to rehabilitate (Boracay) shall continue as we rehabilitate the island in stages,” Puyat said during her keynote address at this year’s Philippine Travel Exchange.

Puyat said completion of the first phase of rehabilitation will be in October, the second phase by the middle of next year and third phase by the end of 2019.

“This is to make sure that all tourism establishments and service providers are compliant with the standards set by the government and that all necessary infrastructure and facilities are in place,” Puyat said.

The inter-agency task force earlier said it will be holding a dry run or partial opening of the island from Oct. 16 to 25, to be ready for its full reopening.

“(The dry run) will allow us to assess what else needs to be done before the island is reopened to all tourists, both domestic and foreign, on Oct. 26,” Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu said.

Cimatu added that during the dry run, only Filipino tourists will be allowed to enter Boracay, with the locals as priority.

The public is advised to wait for the DOT announcement on what hotels will be opened as only 1,000 hotel rooms will be available on the first day of the dry run, he said.

As this developed, a Department and Natural Resources (DENR) official yesterday said the government has yet to come up with a specific number of tourists that will be allowed to stay in Boracay when it reopens.

DENR undersecretary and deputy spokesman Benny Antiporda said concerned agencies will determine a carrying capacity for the island.

Antiporda made the clarification in response to a news report that the number of tourists will be limited to 19,000.

“The carrying capacity could still either be up or down,” he said. – With Robertzon Ramirez, Emmanuel Tupas

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2