PLDT Home Service Advisory

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Got this strange text from PLDT.  It begins:

The DOLE has recently issued a cease and desist order to a number of our service providers requiring them to stop rendering services to PLDT . . .

Well that got me to Googling and the Freeman has an article on it here.  Looks like disruptive labor policies and legislation that will only hurt us if we need our Internet serviced from PLDT in the near future.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

It seems to me that it is an over the top reaction.Having said that I don`t know how many warnings they have had,maybe dole got fed up with warning them.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I don`t know how many warnings they have had,maybe dole got fed up with warning them.

I find this amusing in that the DOLE is for Directly employed people. PLDT as others use contractors, since when has it been correct to Interfere with a business that runs on contracts, I feel someone is trying get a government Department todo this Interfering, NorecII had a similar situation last year but were strong enough to say NO, will continue to use contractual services where needed and it will be on our Terms not yours

FGS Do you think anywhere else would be told how to run your business 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

since when has it been correct to Interfere with a business that runs on contracts

I'm not sure of the situation in the Philippines but many jurisdictions have a 'definition of a  what is a true contractor hirer relationship' that prohibits describing people as contractors unless they are either free to work for more than one employer or in fact work for multiple contractors.  And where an employment relationship is restricted to a single employer that's not 'real contracting' but rather an attempt to get around labor laws.

It may well be something like that... does any one know how many (if any) of these contractors also work for Globe or Smart or another Telco?

Edited by GeoffH

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

does any one know how many (if any) of these contractors also work for Globe or Smart or another Telco?

Unless they have another truck I doubt that any of them do.  They have a PLDT sign on them so pulling up to someone's house to work on their Globe or Smart would seem strange.  In fact all of these outfits are doing the same thing, even SkyCable uses contractors.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I'm not sure of the situation in the Philippines

:hystery: Geoff! neither is anyone else not even the Government, Until there is a firm hand at play this situation will continue, Sad to say that it matters not what the Situation is it will always be, :whistling:Only in the Philippines :wink: As i often tell my Wife, People should read the whole contract and the small print. Here many just see that $ sign, then when work is slack some must go and I am almost certainly sure, underperformers and dubious crews will go first, I might Add that our A/C cleaner is contracted to the Supplier for 4 days per week and has his own little business on the Side but he was cute enough to ask, HUH!~ ok so if you only have 3 days work can I carry one on my own but then again there are contractors and there are contractors. :smile: