Ukay Ukay!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

This sucks!  Used clothing is illegal to import!

https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/07/14/boc-subic-destroys-p-8-m-ukay-ukay/

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Changed link to the source of the story

Rooster
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

This sucks!  Used clothing is illegal to import!

It's been Illegal since 1966. REPUBLIC ACT NO. 4653

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicacts/republicactno4653.html#.W01xbPZuLmQ

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/179876-fast-facts-ukay-ukay-law-illegal

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

The used clothing was abandoned in favor of the government, in view of the aggressive efforts and vigilance on the part of the BOC to prevent the entry of contrabands such as used clothing, which are said to be detrimental to public health and welfare.

I notice that this story, the Rappler story and the Act itself linked by Rosster all cite "public health" as the main reason for the ban on used clothing (with the Act also citing "maintaining the dignity of the nation" as a reason).

Is used clothing really a health hazard, ye smart people of the forum? Or do you think that the reason is really more protecting the dignity of the nation, as in accepting clothing is a reminder that millions of your people are living in poverty?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

do you think that the reason is really more protecting the dignity of the nation, as in accepting clothing is a reminder that millions of your people are living in poverty?

Absolutely!

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I though that cloths in BB boxes is supposed to be used and not new.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

I notice that this story, the Rappler story and the Act itself linked by Rosster all cite "public health" as the main reason for the ban on used clothing (with the Act also citing "maintaining the dignity of the nation" as a reason).

Is used clothing really a health hazard, ye smart people of the forum? Or do you think that the reason is really more protecting the dignity of the nation, as in accepting clothing is a reminder that millions of your people are living in poverty?

It's protectionism for the clothing industry and for those collecting fees from Vendor spots. Not sure how other countries hold garage sales, flea markets, etc. but in the U.S., Flea markets are held everywhere where one can buy other peoples used clothing, junk items.

There are some colleges & schools where I live & I always thought they could earn extra money holding weekend flea markets on that land by charging a space each weekend similar to what they do back in the states where people could bring their junk and sell it to others. Granted most would not have much to sell but they could bring items like old clothes to sell. The town has a resolution banning Flea Markets, vendors can only rent designated spaces. It happens everywhere here, no flea markets, no selling Ukay Ukay but it does happen.   

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I though that cloths in BB boxes is supposed to be used and not new.

One of the reasons every so often you will hear of a BB Box getting stopped or taxed when it has a lot of like items in it. They assume it is for resale

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

It's protectionism for the clothing industry and for those collecting fees from Vendor spots. Not sure how other countries hold garage sales, flea markets, etc. but in the U.S., Flea markets are held everywhere where one can buy other peoples used clothing, junk items.

There are some colleges & schools where I live & I always thought they could earn extra money holding weekend flea markets on that land by charging a space each weekend similar to what they do back in the states where people could bring their junk and sell it to others. Granted most would not have much to sell but they could bring items like old clothes to sell. The town has a resolution banning Flea Markets, vendors can only rent designated spaces. It happens everywhere here, no flea markets, no selling Ukay Ukay but it does happen.   

There might be no law against selling used clothing that was bought new in the Philippines but the law is about importing used clothing. 

Rooster
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There might be no law against selling used clothing that was bought new in the Philippines but the law is about importing used clothing. 

I don't understand your post.

I posted the law on importing clothing. REPUBLIC ACT NO. 4653

Philippine cities further create expanded ordinances and resolutions to RA 4653 that ban the sale of used clothing, creating flea markets to sell used and new clothing,  etc. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I don't understand your post.

I posted the law on importing clothing. REPUBLIC ACT NO. 4653

Philippine cities further create expanded ordinances and resolutions to RA 4653 that ban the sale of used clothing, creating flea markets to sell used and new clothing,  etc. 

You mentioned selling used clothing and flea markets which is against the law to sell imported used clothing. I dont know if its against the law to sell used clothing that was bought new from stores such as malls and after you are sick of them or out grow them possibly sell them. That is not imported used clothing so l dont see a problem with that in the law.