Ukay Ukay!

Rooster
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have NO objection to wearing Ukay,Ukay at Home, Some People forget their beginnings,  methinks! :ohmy: did I say That?

I visit relatives in the states during U.S summer months. A few years back I had to return during the winter because of a sickness in the family . While there I stopped in several U.S. versions of Ukay Ukay stores called thrift stores, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. All second hand clothes donated by others.

Because it was winter, others were buying winter clothes. I scored big time on good quality summer clothing, shorts & shirts, most had to be from dead folks because the living would not have donated the quality of used clothes that I was able to buy.:smile:   

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Rooster said:

most had to be from dead folks because the living would not have donated the quality of used clothes that I was able to buy.:smile:   

Bet the dead did not do the donation :whistling:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Bet the dead did not do the donation :whistling:

maybe just maybe, twas in their will :wink:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I find it amusing that ukay-ukays are illegal, yet we have a mall that well over half the clothing stores are ukay-ukay.  I have never seen them get hassled.  The pirated DVD stores do get shut down about once a year, though... for 2 or 3 days.    Shopping - it's more fun in the Philippines.   :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Kara
Posted
Posted

I bought 2or 3times in ukay ukay. I'm glad i didn't get any allergies. Wash better before wear it. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Kara said:

I'm glad i didn't get any allergies. Wash better before wear it. 

You won't have any problem if you wash before wearing.  There are thrift shops all over the world that sell used clothing.  Phillippines is the only country I know of that says "used clothing, which are said to be detrimental to public health and welfare"   It is just BS that means someone did not get their corruption money, IMHO.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You won't have any problem if you wash before wearing.  There are thrift shops all over the world that sell used clothing

All clothing is washed before its packed up. The only dirt or anything on it will be from when people sort through when looking to buy just like they do if new, people try things on and handle it.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You won't have any problem if you wash before wearing.  There are thrift shops all over the world that sell used clothing.  Phillippines is the only country I know of that says "used clothing, which are said to be detrimental to public health and welfare"   It is just BS that means someone did not get their corruption money, IMHO.

Agree.

Test question:

What is more detrimental to public health and welfare?

A. Purchasing unrefrigerated meat for consumption which has been hanging from hooks for days, exposed to flies laying their eggs on the meat to facilitate larvae?  

B. Purchasing a used piece of clothing?

C. Both A & B?

D. None of the above? 

d.JPG

c.JPG

Edited by Rooster

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

All clothing is washed before its packed up. The only dirt or anything on it will be from when people sort through when looking to buy just like they do if new, people try things on and handle it.

I think that some, maybe all, may be treated with type of chemical when they are packed or shipped.  I have allergies and my sinus will start to burn if I get close to a dig dig store.  The wife buys clothing there for both of us on occasion and we always give them a strong wash cycle and multiple rinse following.  Ukay Ukay is about the only way to find well made clothing, that fits, and that is affordable here that I have found.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I think that some, maybe all, may be treated with type of chemical when they are packed or shipped. 

Yes, they all have a similar smell.  I thought "musty" but it could be some kind of mothball or pest deterrent.

• Hmm thinking 1