Ukay Ukay!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That is not imported used clothing so l dont see a problem with that in the law.

I would not want to be the one to test the law in court.  Someone may rule that it was imported new but it is now second hand so it is "used imported clothes".

Anyway.  There are tons of Ukay Ukay in certain areas (like Dumaguete) and there are none in other areas.  There are articles online about how to start and run an Ukay Ukay business so I have to believe there are some places where the authorities allow the sale of used clothing, provided you are not importing it.

As a side note, it is illegal to sell knockoffs of brand name goods but the major department stores (Lee Plaza, Unitop, etc) in Dumaguete do that with complete disregard for the law.  In fact, Unitop also sells and advertises imported Ukay Ukay clothing.  Thus one wonders how far this enforcement will spread and if it is a one time raid for publicity.

• Like 3

Rooster
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I would not want to be the one to test the law in court.  Someone may rule that it was imported new but it is now second hand so it is "used imported clothes".

Anyway.  There are tons of Ukay Ukay in certain areas (like Dumaguete) and there are none in other areas.  There are articles online about how to start and run an Ukay Ukay business so I have to believe there are some places where the authorities allow the sale of used clothing, provided you are not importing it.

As a side note, it is illegal to sell knockoffs of brand name goods but the major department stores (Lee Plaza, Unitop, etc) in Dumaguete do that with complete disregard for the law.  In fact, Unitop also sells and advertises imported Ukay Ukay clothing.  Thus one wonders how far this enforcement will spread and if it is a one time raid for publicity.

Amazing how Republic Act Laws set law for the entire country but enforcement is decentralized & fragmented throughout the country via lack of enforcement to rewriting policy via local resolutions and ordinances.  

marine6357
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Rooster said:

Amazing how Republic Act Laws set law for the entire country but enforcement is decentralized & fragmented throughout the country via lack of enforcement to rewriting policy via local resolutions and ordinances.  

No different then here in the US. Examples Marijuana laws and sanctuary cities. Not a political statement just my observations of differences here in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

No different then here in the US. Examples Marijuana laws and sanctuary cities. Not a political statement just my observations of differences here in the US.

Spot on. Many U.S. examples could be mentioned.

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, OnMyWay said:

This sucks!  Used clothing is illegal to import!

https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/07/14/boc-subic-destroys-p-8-m-ukay-ukay/

American, selling Ukay Ukay Deported

http://immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2018_Jul/2018Jul24_Press.pdf

July 24, 2018 

BI Agents Nab 2 Illegal Aliens 

Intramuros, MANILA—The Bureau of Immigration (BI) is deporting two overstaying foreigners arrested recently by the Agency’s Intelligence Operatives in Cebu and Pampanga. 

BI Commissioner Jaime H. Morente identified the aliens as American national Roy   Frederick Barker, 74, and South Korean national Cho Jinrae, 41.  Morente said elements from the BI Intelligence Division arrested Barker in Cebu City last July 17 while Cho was collared in Angeles City, Pampanga last July 21. 

“Both of them are overstaying and undesirable aliens. They should be deported for blatantly violating our Immigration Laws,” said Morente on why he issued the mission orders for the arrest of the foreigners. 

According to Immigration Intelligence Chief Fortunato Manahan Jr., Barker was already issued a Summary Deportation Order by the BI Board of Commissioners for overstaying in the country and engaging in gainful activity without the proper visa. 

The American has been allegedly engaged in the “ukay ukay” retail trade business which foreigners are forbidden to do under the law. 

Cho, on the other hand, is a Korean is a fugitive wanted in his homeland for cases of fraud. 

According to Manahan, Cho is subject of a red notice from the Interpol.  He has also been overstaying in the country and is the subject of a deportation complaint filed with the BI

Morente reiterated BI’s warning to all foreigners against violating the country’s Immigration Laws to avoid arrest and deportation.  He likewise appealed to the public to report to his office any suspicious or illegal activities by foreigners in their locality.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Rooster said:

He likewise appealed to the public to report to his office any suspicious or illegal activities by foreigners in their locality.  

This my friend goes a little in hand with a statement I made in another Topic, We are being watched.

Good Topic but I tend the think there are more pressing things than Ukay Ukay to deal with but it just goes to show how the BI seem to be getting their act together

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I tend the think there are more pressing things than Ukay Ukay to deal with

I can understand it.  They seem to leave the poor fiipinos alone to sell their ukay ukay for a few pesos but a rich filipino would be charged if caught importing used clothes and a foreigner would have similar repercussions.  In the case of the previous post I believe the Ukay Ukay was just an add-on.  The real problem is:

18 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Both of them are overstaying

So they are not paying their fines er visa renewals

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So they are not paying their fines er visa renewals

Yes! I can see that and the BI seem to know where to find people when it suits :wink:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Many people in the Philippines would not have any clothes if there was no Ukay ukay.A lot of people here who are really poor just cannot afford new clothes.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

A lot of people here who are really poor just cannot afford new clothes.

I have NO objection to wearing Ukay,Ukay at Home, Some People forget their beginnings,  methinks! :ohmy: did I say That?

• Like 1