NBI Clearance with Canadian criminal record

Trini Bwoy
Posted
Posted

I am married to a Filipina.  I am planning on moving to the Philippines at some point.  My understanding is that I need to get a NBI clearance.  Does the NBI clearance only check their local databases for current charges or open cases.  Of do they check interpol for previous convictions?  There are a couple routes that I can take to stay in the Philippines, one that doesn't require a NBI clearance and 1 that does.  The one that requires the NBI clearance is longer duration visa and I would prefer to get that one.  My criminal charges happened over 10 years ago and I've been an law abiding citizen ever since.  I guess I'm just wondering how my Canadian criminal record will effect me if I apply in the Philippines for NBI clearance.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You haven’t mentioned what it was that cased your issue in the past probably best you keep it to yourself. Not the first time this question had come up.

Go to the Philippines immigration home page it will spell out those details that could block someone with certain offenses, trafficing offenses against children that sort of thing will blacklist you for sure. 

Trini Bwoy
Posted
Posted

If you don't mind me asking, what is the immigration home page address where I can find this information.

Thanks

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I googled “Philippines emigration “ first thing that came up

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Trini Bwoy said:

I guess I'm just wondering how my Canadian criminal record will effect me if I apply in the Philippines for NBI clearance.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

Apply for an NBI Clearance in Toronto & see what happens. Otherwise you will always wonder.

http://www.philcongen-toronto.com/consular/consular_notarial.php

Whether or not you ever apply for an NBI clearance once you come here, foreigners are still reported to them via the barangay intelligence network, Immigration extensions, etc.

It's not like years ago, everything is automated and they are tied into Interpol. Here is what's been happening to those undesirables. I read articles similar all the times in the newspaper I get delivered to the house. 

http://www.manilatimes.net/immigration-1500-foreigners-denied-entry-to-philippines-in-q1/399522/

foreigners were denied entry because they were assessed to likely become public charges or lacked the capacity to sustain their stay in the country and would likely depend on the government for support and were seen as threats to public safety.

Edited by Rooster

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Trini Bwoy said:

I am married to a Filipina.  I am planning on moving to the Philippines at some point.  My understanding is that I need to get a NBI clearance.  Does the NBI clearance only check their local databases for current charges or open cases.  Of do they check interpol for previous convictions?  There are a couple routes that I can take to stay in the Philippines, one that doesn't require a NBI clearance and 1 that does.  The one that requires the NBI clearance is longer duration visa and I would prefer to get that one.  My criminal charges happened over 10 years ago and I've been an law abiding citizen ever since.  I guess I'm just wondering how my Canadian criminal record will effect me if I apply in the Philippines for NBI clearance.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

Come to the Philippines. Stay on a tourist visa for 6 months then all you need is a local NBI check if you are planning on getting a 13a visa. 

• Like 1

Trini Bwoy
Posted
Posted

Jollygoodfellow, thanks for the reply.  How sure are you about that.  I also, heard that if you are in the Philippines for six months, then you can get the NBI clearance there.  But what I'm asking is does the local NBI clearance only check local records or does it check interpol as well.  I don't know if I'm on interpol, but I was told that all records are slowly being added to interpol.  In any case I just want to know if someone has actually done what you are suggesting and all they check is the local records.  Again thanks for your reply.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Trini Bwoy said:

Jollygoodfellow, thanks for the reply.  How sure are you about that.  I also, heard that if you are in the Philippines for six months, then you can get the NBI clearance there.  But what I'm asking is does the local NBI clearance only check local records or does it check interpol as well.  I don't know if I'm on interpol, but I was told that all records are slowly being added to interpol.  In any case I just want to know if someone has actually done what you are suggesting and all they check is the local records.  Again thanks for your reply.

Here, do it the easy way and find out. https://clearance.nbi.gov.ph/ In the box where it says do you have an old clearance, check no.

Trini Bwoy
Posted
Posted

Lol, thanks for the sarcasm.  I was hoping to see if anyone has been through it themself.  But I guess I’m just going to get the sarcasm and not a straight answer.  Well thanks for all your time.  I guess I’ll try to do it at some point.  Hopefully I get through.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Trini Bwoy said:

Lol, thanks for the sarcasm.  I was hoping to see if anyone has been through it themself.  But I guess I’m just going to get the sarcasm and not a straight answer.  Well thanks for all your time.  I guess I’ll try to do it at some point.  Hopefully I get through.  

I was not being sarcastic. I thought it is simple to check to be sure since it can be done online. As far as I know its a local check but no I have not done it myself so someone else should know.