Got burgled last night

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

That is the disturbing part of it, they are staff who work in the factory, we provide lodgings and meals for them and they get paid as well.

I hear you, but unfortunately a lot of people view those things as your obligation so don't feel any need to "repay the favor."

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Don't think it's related but we had one of our dogs stolen yesterday. Posted a reward of 20k pesos for the dog back and someone said that a teenage girl had her and she'd told him not to tell anyone about it.
Have the guy as a witness now, supposedly the police say that we'll be able to have her put her in jail for years.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

the police say that we'll be able to have her put her in jail for years.

Have a teenage girl put in jail for years for stealing a dog?  Someone is pulling your leg.

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Have a teenage girl put in jail for years for stealing a dog?  Someone is pulling your leg.

I dunno, that's what I thought but found this, it just comes under theft (dog cost 40k pesos) and the penalties seem extreme:

1. The penalty of prision mayor in its minimum and medium periods, if the value of the thing stolen is more than P12,000 but does not exceed P22,000, but if the value of the thing stolen exceeds the latter amount the penalty shall be the maximum period of the one prescribed in this paragraph, and one year for each additional P10,000,
https://www.manilatimes.net/punishment-for-theft/111009/

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

found this

Not questioning the value of the dog.  It's just that they don't put minors in jail for theft here and when you mentioned teenage girl I was thinking she was a minor.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

supposedly the police say that we'll be able to have her put her in jail for years.

Is that what you would want to happen to her? Perhaps some type of punishment but jail for a teenager might not be the best idea. 

• Like 2

BKB
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Don't think it's related but we had one of our dogs stolen yesterday. Posted a reward of 20k pesos for the dog back and someone said that a teenage girl had her and she'd told him not to tell anyone about it.
Have the guy as a witness now, supposedly the police say that we'll be able to have her put her in jail for years.

Get the dog back and be happy. Chances are if the girl ends up in jail one of her relatives will get extra brave, snapped up on drink or drugs one night and come looking to kill you. Sometimes its just not worth the trouble...

• Like 5

brmpipes
Posted
Posted
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, BKB said:

Get the dog back and be happy. Chances are if the girl ends up in jail one of her relatives will get extra brave, snapped up on drink or drugs one night and come looking to kill you. Sometimes its just not worth the trouble...

Ya we better not punish the locales like they would be treated in our home country. I get it but wrong is wrong.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, brmpipes said:

Ya we better not punish the locales like they would be treated in our home country. I get it but wrong is wrong.

I seriously doubt that a teenage offender (most likely a first offender) would be given a custodial sentence of ‘years in jail’ in a western court for stealing a dog.

Something like that in Australia would result in a fine or possibly a suspended sentence of 6 to 12 months.

Edited by GeoffH

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

I seriously doubt that a teenage offender (most likely a first offender) would be given a custodial sentence of ‘years in jail’ in a western court for stealing a dog.

I doubt very much if it would get beyond the Barangay Stage here ( Dogs, are just not an entity here as they are for us Westerners) but as we know, any legal Action will be a hurt to pride [Then the problem starts]

Just my thoughts :huh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1