Documents For Foreign Born Spouse to Get Balikbayan Stamp on Entry

Strausketeer
Posted
Posted

My spouse is a dual national (US & Philippines).  We plan to bring her dual citizenship papers and old passport when we go through immigration next trip.  She wants to enter as a Balikbayan, as do I.  What documents does Philippine immigration require to establish that I am her spouse?  I have the NSO "Report of Marriage" from the Philippines.  Will that suffice or do I need our US marriage certificate as well?  Any other docs?  The main objective of our next visit is to establish bank accounts (dollar and peso) and scope out long term housing.  Got some great info on establishing bank accounts in a previous thread.  

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We provided our marriage license and I think I showed my passport as well.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

It will depend on the immigration official you meet. Over the years we got 4 BB visas. We always had our passports, marriage license and return ticket. If memory serves we were only asked for any paper work one time. The other times the officer just looked bored and stamped our passports. Then again, I just stood there like a lump of coal while they babbled in Tagalog. :whistling:

• Love it 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, scott h said:

and return ticket

Not needed according to immigration as you are deemed as Filipino.

As for the rest of the OP questions the rules say a marriage certificate, proof of marriage is what is needed. Pretty straight forward. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not needed according to immigration as you are deemed as Filipino.

and we know how that turns out sometimes :hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Strausketeer said:

do I need our US marriage certificate as well?

In some cases, the spouses retain their last names.  If your last name is not the same as your wife's (on your passports) then you will definitely need the marriage certificate.  If you have the same last name (on your passports) then your mileage will vary.  You may need the marriage certificate or you may just get stamped and waived through with no other documents shown.  To quote Scott

5 hours ago, scott h said:

It will depend on the immigration official you meet.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Strausketeer said:

My spouse is a dual national (US & Philippines).  We plan to bring her dual citizenship papers and old passport when we go through immigration next trip.  She wants to enter as a Balikbayan, as do I.  What documents does Philippine immigration require to establish that I am her spouse?  I have the NSO "Report of Marriage" from the Philippines.  Will that suffice or do I need our US marriage certificate as well?  Any other docs?  The main objective of our next visit is to establish bank accounts (dollar and peso) and scope out long term housing.  Got some great info on establishing bank accounts in a previous thread.  

Republic Act No. 9174 "AN ACT INSTITUTING A BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM"

http://www.newyorkpcg.org/files/forms/visa/RA9174.pdf

Accompanying family members of the balikbayan can bring appropriate supporting documents to show evidence of relationship:

Your Wife's local NY Consulate should be able to answer additional  questions

http://www.newyorkpcg.org/

Strausketeer
Posted
Posted

Thanks again for all the advice.  This clarifies things for me.