Hard Hit By The Rain!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The Subic Bay area is really getting pounded by the monsoon rain!  It has been raining for weeks and then last night, it started a steady, heavy rain that just would not stop.  It finally eased a while ago but there was a lot of flooding in Olongapo and other areas.  No problems for us on the hill but the brand new condos in our neighborhood had a land slide.  Some pics I gathered from FB.

Olongapo City main market at about 6 pm.  They said high tide was coming at 7 pm.

market.jpg

Slide on the Tipo expressway, near the tunnel.

tipo slide.jpg

This is the entrance to my neighborhood, Kalayaan.  I think this has flooded 4-5 times in 5 years.  When this happens, the entrance to SCTEX is also flooded and they reroute the traffic onto our road, as there is a gate that opens to SCTEX.  However, it can be a big mess because only high clearance vehicles can get through.

kalayaan entrance.jpg

This is the slide at the new condos.  The retaining wall in the back collapsed.  I guess $17 million for each condo does not buy a strong wall.

new condos.jpg

Above photos credit to Morefun.ph.

Video below is credited to Subic Bay Kalayaan and Binictican Resident's Community Page of FB.  This SCTEX in the Dinalupian area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Here on Panay as well. The other day there was a landslide in the mountains that closed the main highway between Iloilo and Antique. Luckily there is an old highway that take a beach route around the mountains. It is farther, but a prettier drive.  They just got the mountain road open (for buses and cars - 10 wheelers have to take the old highway), and now the bridge is flooded out near the town of Miagao.  My wife is not sure if there is another way around. This could be a big problem for all the buses and vans... 

the rainy season - it is more fun in the Philippines :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

No rain here in Cebu city. :umbrella_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I drove out for a quick look-see about 30 minutes ago.  The rain was not too hard when I left.  I went down the hill to the gate area that was flooded earlier, and the water has receded.  When I turned around, it started raining really hard again and if that keeps up, more flooding.  I keep procrastinating getting the tint replaced on my Trailblazer.  It is too dark and in really dark and downpour conditions like now, it is really hard to see.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I drove out for a quick look-see about 30 minutes ago.  The rain was not too hard when I left.  I went down the hill to the gate area that was flooded earlier, and the water has receded.  When I turned around, it started raining really hard again and if that keeps up, more flooding.  I keep procrastinating getting the tint replaced on my Trailblazer.  It is too dark and in really dark and downpour conditions like now, it is really hard to see.

Still no rain in Cebu :smile:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Very heavy rain in Oriental Mindoro. One post on Facebook showed the water up to just below the roof on a house. PAGASA released a report last night warning we could be getting up to 70mm of rain on Thursday. 5 times the recent downpour. 

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

That's too bad OMW about all that monsoon rain. I've seen the awful flooding in Manila and surrounds lately too. Is it true that in Luzon in general it gets pretty rainy most of the rainy season?  Not easy for business and property damage, and just plain getting around.  Last year in Cebu, we had a long rainy season, with rain most days. Generally here though, it's sunny with a cloudburst every few days, but then followed by sun.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No rain here in Cebu city. :umbrella_80_anim_gif:

Are you saying that it does not rain on the righteous?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

Are you saying that it does not rain on the righteous?

No I'm saying it doesn't rain on my parade :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Olongapo City downtown yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2