Cash withdrawal fees.

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2018 at 9:24 AM, jrlee183 said:

HSBC, Citibank, and some BPI ATMs allow you to withdraw up to 20k at a time i believe.  Also, HSBC dont charge either

You could always use a remittance service like world remit to transfer the cash to yourself and pick up from a local agent. that would be much cheaper

I have a HSBC account in the UK, they certainly do charge, around £7-8. BPI do not accept HSBC cards either debit or credit.

This is for UK based account. If you have a local HSBC account that appears to work differently.

Edited by virginprune

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Banks make money either through fees per ATM transaction or the foreign exchange spread.  The spread can be as high as 7%.  I find that paying the nominal ATM fee (usually about $5) is better if you are withdrawing the maximum amount permitted. Your home bank would also charge a fee, about a $5 fee per transaction, but this is waived for their good customers. Sometimes it is automatic. Sometimes you have to ask for the waiver. 

I had some leftover GBP which I wanted to exchange back into USD. The money changer booth at Gatwick Airport was charging 15% commission. By waiting until my return to the USA, my bank did the exchange (purchase my foreign currency) as a courtesy without a fee. The reason given is the bank sold me GBP 300 prior to departure so I would have local currency upon arrival. They decided not to charge a commission twice.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2